[CWG-Stewardship] CWG Co-Chairs Update

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Wed Feb 10 11:42:06 UTC 2016

All,

An update on three meetings which took place yesterday, all of which were
recorded. Also, a comment on the IRP.

Transition Facilitation

-        We are into a very tight time window of opportunity to finalise the
IANA Transition proposal

-        CCWG Accountability expects to publish its Supplementary Proposal
to the Chartering Organisations on 18 February 2016

-        The Chartering Organisations will want to know whether or not the
CWG Stewardship conditions have been met

-        The ICG is poised to transmit its proposal to the ICANN board and
will also wish to know whether or not the CWG Stewardship conditions have
been met

-        Therefore the CWG Stewardship needs to be in a position to certify
that our conditions have been met as soon as possible and ideally, at the
same time as the Supplementary Proposal is published

-        We have been doing background work (see below) and are able to
continue to do so, focussing particular attention on the IANA Budget & and
the Independent Review components of the CWG / CCWG work

IANA Budget (as a component of CWG Stewardship / CCWG Accountability
proposals)

-        A call was run yesterday to discuss any lasting concerns with the
work on the IANA Budget

-        Notes and information from that call have been circulated to the
CWG Stewardship mailing list

-        The key question for the CWG is what, if any, outcomes from that do
we wish to support? If so, how do we accommodate those?

-        In dealing with this key question, we need to be mindful of the
scope and timescales of the CCWG work as well as the constraints we face in
adapting our proposal at this stage

-        We will co-ordinate with Sidley on this issue

IANA Transition Budget

-        A meeting was held between the ICANN Board, senior staff and the
CCWG Accountability / CWG Stewardship Co-chairs

-        All parties recognise the seriousness of budget overruns given the
magnitude that has occurred in this case (relating to the overall IANA
Stewardship Transition project)

-        The focus was on effective cost-control for the remainder of the
financial year (to June 2016) and beyond

-        This is work in progress

IRP

-        A meeting to review the status quo will be held later today (22h00
UTC)

We will work with you over the next week with the aim of completing our
certification of the CWG dependencies so that the chartering organisations
can then go on to review the CCWG Accountability Supplementary Proposal
confident in the knowledge that the CWG Stewardship is satisfied.

Thank-you,

Jonathan Robinson & Lise Fuhr

CWG Co-Chairs