[CWG-Stewardship] FW: Marc's presentation and report with some background

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Fri Feb 19 23:28:30 UTC 2016

Paul,

On 2/19/16, 2:29 AM, "cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Paul M Kane - CWG" <cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org on behalf of paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk> wrote:
>Sorry for delay - there is a gremlin somewhere on the CWG mailing list....  I
>receive direct emails to my but not those distributed via the CWG mailing list
>at the moment...

FWIW, I checked with ICANN IT.  Their response is below.

Regards,
-drc
--------
It stems from his email's DMARC policy.

I looked at our email logs to Paul, and messages from this list produce errors like this:

<22>Feb 4 17:29:59 smtp1 sendmail[24858]:u14HRR8B024837:to=<paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk>,<Paul.Kane at icb.co.uk>, delay=00:02:31 , xdelay=00:00 :06 , mailer=esmtp, pri=1662112, relay=mail001.icb.co.uk.[193.223.78.139 ], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 403 4.7.0 TLS handshake failed.

The specific [mailing list software] setting that I suspect to be the gremlin is here:

"Replace the From: header address with the list's posting address to mitigate issues stemming from the original From: domain's DMARC or similar policies."
This is set to "NO" currently.  We can set this list to munge the FROM when postings are made to circumvent Paul's block, and I believe this will allow him to receive messages from the list. However, it will change the FROM field for all recipients to FROM: Listname on behalf of Listname  instead of FROM: Listname on behalf of Sendername