[CWG-Stewardship] Input Needed: Bylaws Matrix Responses and Three Issues

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.uk
Mon Feb 29 00:02:23 UTC 2016

Thanks for this helpful summary, Grace.  I'm sorry to have missed the call and I hope that my responses to your three questions does not stamp too heavily over ground covered in Thursday's discussion.

For issue 1, I would align with Donna.  It would seem to me to be appropriate to use existing mechanisms for decisions on the CSC charter.

On issue 2:  it's amazing how often you can read texts and miss inconsistencies!  I have a recollection from the discussions (now a very long time ago - this was something discussed for the first draft, wasn't it?)  that we were looking for a degree of flexibility, without allowing slippage.  I liked this concept and wonder whether we could retain it with wording like, "will commence not later than two years after the Transition"?

One reason I would favour this sort of wording is that there might be reasons - a recognition that we got something wrong, concerns over performance raised by the CSC, for example - when we would want to carry out a review earlier.  However, if things are bedding in nicely, introducing a new instability - with the pressures of a review - too quickly seems to be disruptive without necessarily bringing any obvious benefits.

On issue 3, I feel a bit ambivalent - I can see benefits for each approach depending on the circumstances.  The Empowered Community process probably would be most relevant in the case where something was going seriously wrong.  There could be other reasons for promoting a Special IFR:  a need to amend service levels or introduce architectural changes, for example.

Would the best approach be to leave a degree of flexibility?  We have both mechanisms, both can be triggered when needed.  So why not allow the community proposal to use the empowered community escalation mechanisms, should that be appropriate, but also allow the RySG and/or ccNSO to launch a consultation process leading to a review?

Hope this helps

Martin