[CWG-Stewardship] FW: IPR follow up

Steve Crocker steve.crocker at icann.org
Tue Jan 12 08:27:17 UTC 2016

Greg,

Thanks for the quick response.  I confess my focus is almost entirely on the control of the domain names.  I know you place great weight on the control of the trademarks, but I truly believe that’s of only modest concern in this context.

I have asked a couple of the current IETF Trust trustees to recover the sequence related to the domain names.

Meanwhile, even with the record of the IANA trademarks being created at USC and transferred to ICANN, my sense is the creation of the IANA function in the first place and its mode of operation was by agreement with the IETF and its predecessors.  I understand this might not seem relevant to you if you’re researching only court and agency filings, but the connection between the IETF and the IANA function is at the absolute core of the de facto history.

Steve