[CWG-Stewardship] FW: IPR follow up

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jan 14 00:03:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

I guess this has sort of been overtaken by events, given the WG's
provisional conclusion, but for completeness:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 03:55:32AM -0500, Greg Shatan wrote:
> ​If this is a private trust, set up for the benefit of the IETF, and not a
> public (i.e., charitable) trust, set up for a public benefit, that raises
> significant concerns about its fitness for purpose here.  Can you double
> check this with counsel, and forward him my comment above?​  By the way,
> who is the lawyer in this instance?

Jorge got back to me, and he said, "The IETF Trust is a Virginia
common law trust, the beneficiary of which is the entire IETF
community."  In other words, this is a registered trust (as often used
for business purposes) and not a trust for charitable purposes as such.

I hope that helps.  If more follow-up is needed, perhaps I can loop
Jorge into the conversation.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com