[CWG-Stewardship] RZERC Charter for CWG review

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed May 11 13:54:39 UTC 2016

Alan
We seem to be talking past each other.

Andrew and I are just saying that the proposed RZERC is about the names root. If you look at the original charter for DT-F it was explicitly about the relationship between ICANN, IANA and the RZM - nothing more. RZERC can and will include people from protocols and numbers if you like, but its remit is major architectural changes in the names root. So the RZERC will ensure that the PTI, RZM and Root server operators don't do anything that "breaks the Internet" or messes up the other IFOs.

If the IFOs for numbers and protocols do something that "breaks the Internet" then the numbers and protocols communities have all the authority they need to fire their IFO or, what is more likely, they have the oversight and credible threat to prevent that from happening in the first place.

I don't see what else needs to be done.