[CWG-Stewardship] IOTF Call #9 - Meeting Notes (20 MAY 2016 @ 15:00 UTC)

Yuko Green yuko.green at icann.org
Mon May 23 17:50:17 UTC 2016

Dear members of the CWG Stewardship,

Below, please find the meeting notes from the IOTF Call #9. The presentation
material, transcript, and AC room and audio recordings are now posted at
https://www.icann.org/stewardship-implementation under "Meetings & Work
Sessions" section.

*** Meeting Notes ***

Implementation Oversight Task Force (ITOF) call #09

20 May 2016 @ 15:00 UTC

Please note that this meeting is being recorded.

To mute or Unmute, select *6 (Star-Six)

If you would like to review the last call(s), the recordings and
presentation materials are posted publicly here:
https://www.icann.org/stewardship-implementation

Agenda:

1.       Opening Remarks

2.       Implementation Items

*         RZERC charter

*         CSC request for appointment

*         PTI formation documents

3.       AOB

a.       IANA IPR Timing

4.       Closing Remarks

Notes:

Apology:

Lise Fuhr

Paul Kane

Avri Doria

Decisions:

RZERC Charter

*         Title: Incorporate the edits to spell out RZERC

*         Composition: Incorporate edits to first sentence

*         Composition: Remove last added sentence, but take the edit of
first sentence suggested by Seun (Comment [A5])

*         Meeting: Incorporate the edits of "Meetings may take place with
remote participation (using appropriate technology) or in-person. Email
discussions do not constitute meetings."

*         Voting & Quorum: Incorporate Chuck's suggestion (Comment [A8])

*         Voting & Quorum: Change the title of the section to "Decisions"

*         Voting & Quorum: Do not take the suggested edits by Eduard
(Comment [A9])

*         Records of Proceedings: Incorporate suggested language by Jonathan
"Committee meetings shall be recorded wherever possible. Any minutes or
other records prepared shall be posted as soon as possible following
approval by the committee."

*         Conflict of Interest: Change "confirm adherence" to "identify
potential conflicts of interest in their committee service."

*         Review: Incorporate the edit suggested by Seun (Comment [A14])

Action Items:

*         Update the RZERC term sheet based on the feedback and change the
format into a charter (ICANN)

*         Share the CSC materials with CWG (ICANN)

*         Contact client committee about review timing for PTI formation
document (ICANN)

*         Check with ICANN legal & finance regarding the evaluation of IANA
IPR (ICANN)

***Chat History***

Yuko Green: Who may be #1037?

Jonathan Robinson: I am live on audio.

Jonathan Robinson: Hello all

Yuko Green: Hello everybody, welcome to IOTF Call #9. We will get started
shortly.

Yuko Green: who may be # 8753?

Greg Shatan: An interest does not necessarily imply a conflict of interest.
If it did, ICANN couldn't function.

James Gannon: Agree

Greg Shatan: Agree that we should not take Seun's edit.

matthew shears: if the appointment of membrs is up to internal processes
then why specifiy 5 years

Russ Housley: I can barely hear Jonathan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Yup keep the erspective here

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): agree

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): and the GNSO Guidelines  for WG Guidelines has a
set of agreed definitions of Consensus  we could reference

Greg Shatan: I won't die in a ditch over this.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): yup

James Gannon: If it has a meeting over VOIP is that not a meeting? Support
removing it

matthew shears: why even specify just say electronically or face to face.

Greg Shatan: "internet based discussions" is a very vague term.

Alissa Cooper: agree matthew

James Gannon: Agree with matt

Greg Shatan: Let's remember this is only a term sheet....

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Excellent Jonethn!

Alissa Cooper: is anyone really liable to confuse email for a meeting?

James Gannon: Simplify

Greg Shatan: That last sentence is rather silly.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): One wuld hope Not Alissa

Jonathan Robinson: Meetings may take place with remote participation (using
appropriate technology) or in-person. Email discussions do not consititue
meetings.

James Gannon: +1 Johantahn language

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Yep

Alissa Cooper: looks good

Greg Shatan: +1 to James's spelling of "Jonathan."

Chuck Gomes: Well done Jonathan.

James Gannon: Working 3 laptops and 2 meeting Greg, Im surprised I didint
call him Jane =)

James Gannon: Support

Yuko Green: Cheryl, may i suggest you mute your audio?

James Gannon: Too much detail and not in proposal

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): I agree with Alan

James Gannon: Title it decision making

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Faire enough point Greg

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): and yes Decision Making works  James

Chuck Gomes: Concensus and voting don't match.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): YES TO Decisions and no Quorum in title

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): lests KISS this  Yes Alan

James Gannon: Agree

Russ Housley: Agree, that it too much granularity

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): So true Russ

James Gannon: As soon as possible following approval is pretty standard
boilerplate, I suggest just leaving as normal

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): YUP

matthew shears: agree

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): ONE WOULD THIK SO Chuck   but that would be
covered in just oopenly and transparently

James Gannon: Yup that would work

Greg Shatan: +1 Alan

Greg Shatan: "other records" covers recordings, minutes, transcripts,
courtroom artwork, etc.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Any Munites  prepared should be .. ... ...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): that was an edit  to Jonethans language

Jonathan Robinson: Committee meetings shall be recorded whereever possible.
Any minutes or other records prepared shall be posted as soon as possible
following approval by the committee.

matthew shears: + 1

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Perfect Jonathan

Yuko Green: Thank you for typing that up, Jonathan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): fine

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): doubt it adds anything but nit dying in a ditch
either

Russ Housley: Where will the final RZERC Charter be posted?

Chuck Gomes: I understood that a charter would be created from the term
sheet.

Chuck Gomes: But I am okay just having a term sheet.

Chuck Gomes: Should we call it RZERC Guidelines?

matthew shears: it is a review committee - and it does have an important
role - shouldn't it have a charter

Greg Shatan: The AC/SOs are essentially "chartered" in the ICANN Bylaws, and
then make their own rules.  WGs are chartered and follow rules generally set
for them.

Alan Greenberg: I am happy to do whatever other want as long as it will not
take  a lot more of our time.

Greg Shatan: Will it at least be written in complete sentences?

matthew shears: + 1

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Fine plan Trang

Greg Shatan: Please use the word "Whereas" at least once, just to satisy my
legalistic urges.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Gre !;-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): GreG

Trang Nguyen: @Greg: noted

James Gannon: no objection here

Chuck Gomes: I reviewed it and had no issues.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): yup fine to issue IMO

James Gannon: I honestly havent had time to review yet was planning to over
the weekend

James Gannon: Day jobs and all that =)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): that makes sense Trang

Russ Housley: I cannot hear anyone speaking right now

James Gannon: Agree, I will note that from my design team persective I saw
references to our C7.3 sections so happy from that sense

Russ Housley: You are back ....

Russ Housley: I think thet the RIRs proposal requires the IPR be transferred
before the NTIA exits

Russ Housley: @Greg:  I think the timeline requires parallel review

Greg Shatan: @Russ, agree and that is how we're proceeding.

James Gannon: Hmm valutation of the assets needs to be done very carefully

Russ Housley: The concept of a valuation is new to me.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): THAT IS MY UNDERSTANDING AS WELL

James Gannon: Thi is not a normal business transcation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): TRUE

Alissa Cooper: this seems like something icann could decide to do any time
before the transfer

James Gannon: Yes but in those cases its normal to value at 1$ or equivalent

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): yes could be done Now

Jonathan Robinson: I am not an expert on this. Suggest Trang checks with
ICANN fincance / legal

Chuck Gomes: Agree Jonathan.

Greg Shatan: James -- that is price -- value is a different issue.

Chuck Gomes: Thanks all.  Productive meeting

James Gannon: Thanks all

James Gannon: Agree Greg btw

Greg Shatan: It used to be a peppercorn rather than $1...

James Gannon: lol

Greg Shatan: Bye all!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): byr

Trang Nguyen: Bye everyone. Thank you.

matthew shears: as long as it does not inolve congressional approval

Yuko Green

Strategic Programs Manager

Global Domains Division

Direct Line:  +1 310 578 8693