[Discussion-igo-rc] External Legal advice on applicable local law for the protection of the legal rights of IGOs

Markus Kummer markus.kummer at board.icann.org
Wed Apr 26 18:45:52 UTC 2017

Phil, Raùl, all,

Please accept my apologies if my comment came across as being flippant or
superficial. I am not a lawyer nor am I an expert in international law, but
as a former Swiss diplomat and UN official I am familiar with some
fundamental principles. I also learned during my professional career that
the way you approach a question can depend greatly on you own background,
such as which school of thought you belong to or your cultural background.
A native Spanish,German or French speaker will think in a different legal
and logical context than a native English speaker, not to mention the
different traditions of common law and civil law or monistic and dualistic
systems in applying international law.

Please also note that I did not speak on behalf of the Board, but just
expressed an opinion based on my own experience. I am aware that the
question addressed by the legal expert retained by your PDP WG was
different than the question now proposed by Bruce and I was by no means
trying to criticize or belittle the opinion of your legal expert as being
US-centric. However, while a European expert may well have reached the same
result, the report might have read differently.

The simple point I was trying to make was that by selecting an expert all
these factors ought to be taken into account and all parties concerned
ought to feel comfortable with the expert chosen. I am confident that ICANN
staff will help find a legal expert with adequate experience and awareness
for the different cultural and political sensitivities.

I hope this helps clarify misunderstandings I may have created.

Markus