[SLE Team] {SPAM/L} RE: SLEWG Meeting | 18:00 UTC | 17 August 2015 - this one!

Patricio Poblete ppoblete at nic.cl
Tue Aug 18 14:53:14 UTC 2015

Adam,

Thanks for your explanation. Even though, in general, what you describe
might happen, I believe that the measurement protocol can be designed in
such a way as to exclude this possibility.

What I mean is that a timestamp should be assigned to the exact time when a
communication is sent from IANA to the customer, requesting some action on
their part, and to the time when the reply from the customer comes back.
These timestamps should be the crucial times for computing the duration of
stages.

More precisely, when the IANA receives a communication from the customer
(be it the initial one or the reply to a request), the clock starts running
for IANA *then*, and not some time later when gets around to start
processing it.

This would still leave room for some unaccounted time between to
consecutive stages inside IANA, with no customer intervention. Again, the
design should be such that the end time of one stage and the start time for
the next one should be *exactly* the same. So, the clock never stops, it
just changes from being accounted to some stage to the next.

Patricio