[DTC CSC] CSC Charter 0 7

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Fri Apr 10 22:47:47 UTC 2015

Kurt,

> My thought is that the mechanism for considering changes to IANA services and
> operations is the equivalent of the NTIA authorization function.

I'd argue that the root zone change authorization function is fundamentally
quite different in the sense that while (in theory) it is possible for the
Root Zone Administrator to determine whether a change request conforms to
pre-defined policy, I'm not sure it is possible for the Root Zone
Administrator to determine whether a proposed change to the architecture of
the Internet is sufficiently well thought  to not impact the
security/stability of the Internet and/or whether the need for the change
outweighs the risk of the change.

In practice, my understanding is that while NTIA did perform the
authorization of change requests directly themselves (as documented in the
slides they provided), they "outsourced" (typically to NIST) the development
of criteria for accepting architectural changes and required the IANA
Function Operator and Root Zone Maintainer to justify how whatever the
change was being proposed met those criteria.

My proposed wording was not to suggest that the CSC had the ability to
define the necessary criteria and then determine whether the criteria were
met, rather it was to suggest the CSC was authorized to spin up an
appropriate and competent body to do that (it happens infrequently enough
that I don't think it makes sense to have a permanent body).

Regards,
-drc