[DTL] Notes from DT-L Call on 8 April at 13:00 UTC

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed Apr 8 22:09:45 UTC 2015

Christopher

I'm afraid that I continue to have great difficulty understanding why
you think that what we are working on in DT-L is misplaced, naive or
de-stabilizing.

We are working on existing text in the current NTIA-ICANN contract -
"C.7.3 Plan forTransition toSuccessorContractor"dating from 2014
(attached) - text that is focused on ensuring that there is business
continuity for the IANA functions should there be a need for moving
(transitioning) the IANA functions to another contractor.  We are not
creating some new effort or activity - rather we are looking at
something the current contract explicitly requires: "The current IANA
Functions contract describes a number of functions, systems,processes
and documents that would need to be transitioned from ICANN to
asuccessor organization, should the Government select a successor
contractor toperform the IANA Functions."

We are not trying to anticipate that such a transition would or should
occur.  We are trying to ensure that were such a transition to occur
there is - based on the existing contract requirement - a plan that
allows for and encourages the continuity of the IANA functions.  This is
a far cry from de-stabilizing - indeed the purpose of this plan (as is
clear in section C.7 of the current contract) is the opposite.

Thanks.

Matthew