[ECAdmin] ICANN 2018 NomCom Selected Nominee to ICANN Board of Directors

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Sep 20 19:38:50 UTC 2018

Hello Stephen, Alan and everyone,

On behalf of the staff team that supports your work, please allow me to clarify a few points. I hope the information will be of assistance to the Empowered Community and the Empowered Community Administration moving forward.

  1.  Sections 7.2(a) and 7.8(c) of the ICANN Bylaws specifically require the EC Administration to “promptly notify the Secretary in writing” and “promptly provide the Secretary (with a copy to the Decisional Participants) with written notice of the designation of those Directors” nominated by the NomCom, a Supporting Organization and the At Large Community. In addition, the NomCom is obliged to provide the Empowered Community with two months’ notice of a Director appointment – this timeframe was met by the earlier nomination of Lousewies but was obviously not possible with the nomination of Danko; nevertheless, this situation underscored the need for the Empowered Community Administration to provide the requisite notice as quickly as it could. We appreciate Stephen’s, Manal’s, Alan’s and everyone’s prompt messages and actions in this regard.

  1.  As the Bylaws are silent on a requirement or mechanism for withdrawing previously-made designations, the draft notice circulated by Ozan followed prior practice, pending further direction from the Empowered Community Administration in this somewhat unusual circumstance. We thank Stephen for drafting the additional note to the ICANN Secretary and have made a note of it, on the assumption that this is a practice that the Empowered Community Administration wishes to continue should a similar situation occur in the future. Please let us know if you wish staff to assist with any additional follow up on this matter, e.g. ensuring receipt of the notifications by the Decisional Participants.

Finally, I wish to emphasize that there was absolutely no intention on the part of any staff member to act for the Empowered Community Administration. We understand the demands that a high workload can place on our volunteer community, including the challenges that the various timelines prescribed by the Bylaws create for the Empowered Community Administration. Our intention, as always, was to provide assistance and support to you in your work. In this regard, we have never presumed to represent or take action that is within your remit without your specific direction or agreement.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Mary (on behalf of the team supporting the Empowered Community Administration)