[Finance-sc] REMINDER: Meeting Invitation: FBSC Call - Wednesday, 10 February 2016 at 15:00 UTC

Judith Hellerstein judith at jhellerstein.com
Wed Feb 10 00:10:06 UTC 2016

   HI All,
   I am unable to make the call at I have a meeting scheduled during that
   time, but wanted to send in my comments and feedback to the list.
   According to the guidelines of the type of requests to submit it says:
     * Outreach should not be a major focus. Activities to improve
       engagement with existing members is encouraged.
     * If any request is made on outreach, it should probably go through
       the CROPP program and not this special request process.

     * Proposals should include ways in which will make the ALAC and/or
       the At-Large community more effective and develop the At-Large
       community.

   I know our RALO worked hard to focus our proposals on these three
   issues and did not look at other proposals that were what we considered
   outreach. It is for that reason why we did not look at hosting regional
   events or focusing on creating a session at the next IGF.  Also we need
   to take a look at CROPP funding and considering the distances that
   APRALO people have to travel to reach a destination maybe some kind of
   allowance can be made so that the CROPP days start once you reach the
   destination. I think that would help APRALO uses it slots better. Also
   they may want to look at combining 2 slots together to make the trips
   work better within their CROP Strategy. This is allowable this year.

   If we are going to continue recommending proposals that are essentially
   outreach in nature than we need to create new criteria so that others
   could then follow it.  I think we are not taking our current criteria
   to heart in the submission of the included proposals.  Several of the
   proposals submitted are strictly outreach ones. If these are viewed as
   needed than ALAC should work with GSE and the new Civil Society
   outreach initiative to have these listed and possibly supported.  I
   also have strong objections to funding projects that do not work on 1)
   specifically engaging RALO or ALS members. 2) focus on areas that have
   been the specific focus of other groups and that are funded by other
   groups.  In this vein a national IGF should not be a special budget
   request.  They can receive funding from the IGF Support Association,
   The Internet society, and The RIRs or other groups.  Each of these
   groups have funded National IGFs.  The IGF SA was created specific ally
   to help fund national and regional IGFs and makes available funding
   from 3,000-5,000 USD each year to these groups. In addition, ISOC also
   makes available funding on top of this amount to chapters holding
   National and Regional IGFs.

   In summary, I think we need to have a broader discussion of the
   criteria for what can be submitted as a special request and what should
   not. Possibly some of the ideas can be funded through other means.   I
   look forward to your feedback on my comments.

   Best,
   Judith
Judith Hellerstein, Founder & CEO
Hellerstein & Associates
3001 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington DC 20008
Phone: (202) 362-5139  Skype ID: judithhellerstein
E-mail: [1]Judith at jhellerstein.com   Website: [2]www.jhellerstein.com
Linked In: [3]www.linkedin.com/in/jhellerstein/
Opening Telecom & Technology Opportunities Worldwide