[Finance-sc] FOR REVIEW: At-Large FY21 Additional Budget Requests

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 09:41:14 UTC 2020

Dear FBSC members,

Trust this finds you well, I am just looking at the status of AFRALO
related budget requests and I note that only one (which has actually been
in the pipeline for a long time) was approved. There are other 2 of them
that I like to comment about and hopefully you can reconsider your
decisions about this.

1. Capacity Building for the AFRALO ATLAS III Ambassadors during the 2021
African Internet Summit:
AFRALO has not had GA in recent times and the next time we get a chance for
GA is 2023. We need to remain close to our ALSes(as much as possible) and
keep them empowered and refreshed. The event planned for 2021 serves that
purpose and it will help serve as a medium solution while we hold a more
extensive participation of all ALSes in another 2 years time (after 2021).
Remote participation as we know it has its limitation. Should you feel that
25 is too much please let me know what you can approve. We can also try to
make it a 2 days event to further reduce on cost but I think you should
consider that 2023 is too far already for us and this is "somewhat" a
unique situation for AFRALO.

2. Ghana and Nigeria SIGs:. The comment there isn't clear to me, there was
no request that was submitted by the African SIG and Ghana and Nigeria for
quite a number of current ALS with opportunity for potential ones. I think
it will be good that the requests be considered on their individual merits
instead of merging them with a continental SIG that has not been proposed.
Local events are more useful as local folks can always try to reach
themselves post event. In the same vein, If you cannot approve the entire
amount each of them requested then let us what you can approve and I am
sure they will find a way to make good use of it.

I can live with not approving the rest of the request but I hope you will
reconsider your decisions on the ones I have mentioned above.

Regards
AFRALO Chair
Sent from my mobile
Kindly excuse brevity and typos