[Gac-gnso-cg] GAC communique

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Jul 2 22:02:51 UTC 2014

	First, I want to be clear that I know this group is to discuss working methods going forward, and not individual policy issues etc.
	But I wanted to say that, while I very much appreciate the efforts of the GAC (and GNSO) to attempt to find a way forward on the IGO/INGO issues, I found the parts of the GAC Communique that dealt with the Red Cross very dispiriting in the misunderstanding of, and outright disdain for, the ICANN/GNSO policy process. I think it is fair to say that it is considered to be very problematic by most of the GNSO.
	I don't know if the charter of this group extends to suggestions on how to deal with situations like this, but I'd certainly be happy to hear them, either via the group or on an informal, individual, basis.
	One point I think it does raise is that we have been concentrating on improving the GAC understanding of GNSO processes. While this advice underlines that we still have a way to go in that regard, I think it also brings up the point that we should also look at improving GNSO understanding of GAC processes, so that we might be better able to understand how to react to GAC advice that it has some disagreement with.
	Regards
		David