[Gac-gnso-cg] Food for thought ..

Jonathan Robinson jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com
Tue Sep 23 09:52:34 UTC 2014

All,

Thank-you once again to Manal for diligently keeping us on track.

I really like the thinking on this thread and feel that this group has to
tread a delicate line between offering leadership and listening / engaging
when we do talk / meet with the GAC.
After all, we have given these issue much more thought than most others and
so the leadership point speaks, for example, to Suzanne's one of setting
expectations / parameters.

1.       I like the idea of a form of joint committee / regular meeting of
leadership teams together with the work of the liaison putting us in a good
place (Day-to-day).

2.       As we have recognised from the outset, a critical point which
follows is that of timely responses (or initiatives) from the GAC followed
by reasonable (commonly understood) expectations of the action that will
result (engagement with PDP).

I am optimistic for the following reason. I do not think that the GAC have
to be experts in the work of the GNSO and, providing we can appropriately
manage and filter that work (point 1 above), the GAC do not need to be
experts. What the GAC does need (IMO) is to be given sufficient and clear
information to know where to focus their attention (with GNSO help) and then
have a reasonable process and expectation (point 2 above) about what will
happen in areas where GAC attention is focussed.

Very sorry that I cannot make the call. I will work with Manal and all of
you on the presentation for LA. I feel that if we can get gist of the above
across in a meeting run along the lines set out below, we should end up in a
good place.

1.       Results and discussion of Survey

2.       Status update from GAC / GNSO CG

3.       Introduction to and expectations of the Liaison

4.       Further work plans

Thanks,

Jonathan