[Gnso-bylaws-dt] Welcome to the GNSO Bylaws Implementation Drafting Team

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Aug 12 17:18:04 UTC 2016

Dear all,

This note is to let you know that staff has created this mailing list for this Drafting Team (DT) to facilitate our work. Thank you all for volunteering to join the DT! Please see below a list of suggestions and requests that we hope you can respond to at your earliest convenience:

1.       First organizational meeting:
As you know, this DT was created in part to provide the GNSO Council with a draft implementation plan for any necessary updates to the GNSO Operating Procedures, or possibly the Bylaws as they relate to the GNSO, arising as a result of the revised ICANN Bylaws that were adopted in May. The Council has requested that this DT submit the proposed implementation plan by 30 September (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20160630-2 for the full Council resolution).

To that end, staff proposes that a first organizational meeting of the DT be held during the week of 22 August, during which we can discuss the scope of our work, proposed mechanisms to achieve the timeline and frequency of meetings. We therefore request that you fill out this Doodle poll as soon as possible: http://doodle.com/poll/vdcxmgqbwhz4bgtt.

Please NOTE: this poll is to schedule the first DT meeting only. However, if there are specific times going forward for these days of the week for which you will have a standing conflict, please indicate this in the Comments section at the bottom of the poll.

2.       Initial notes on the DT’s work:
Although we will be working to a tight timeline, please note that the implementation plan for the Council is not intended to include specific language for new or amended rules and procedures. Drafting of these new or amended processes will therefore likely begin only after completion and approval of the implementation plan.

Our understanding is that the initial task of the DT will be to identify and agree on what new or additional obligations the GNSO now has as a result of the revised Bylaws. Following that initial task, the DT should then see what (if any) existing GNSO processes can be used to address that new or additional obligation, and if there are none, whether an existing process can be modified or if a new process needs to be created. Staff anticipates that these points will be highlighted in the implementation plan, which will also contain proposed timelines for developing and adopting any amendments or new processes.

To assist in the DT’s initial work, staff prepared the attached table that we distributed to the GNSO Council for its information just before the Helsinki meeting. We prepared the table to facilitate the GNSO’s implementation of the new Bylaws, and welcome your feedback, corrections and updates. Of course, the DT should not feel constrained to use or rely solely on the staff table, but we hope that it is a helpful starting point at least. The staff table can also be downloaded from the GNSO website at https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/revised-bylaws-notes-comments-procedures-14jun16-en.pdf.

3.       DT members’ check-in
The following members have been subscribed to this mailing list; if you see that someone’s name has been omitted or added in error, please let us know as soon as possible. Thank you!

Representing the Registries SG: David Maher
Representing the Registrars SG: Darcy Southwell
Representing the Business Constituency: Steve DelBianco
Representing the IPC: Steve Metalitz
Representing the ISPCPC: Malcolm Hutty
Representing the NCSG: Farzaneh Badii, Amr Elsadr, Matthew Shears
NCA Nominee: Edward Morris

Thanks and cheers
Mary and Julie (we will be your staff support for the DT)