[Gnso-bylaws-dt] LAST CALL: GNSO Bylaws DT report and matrix -- final version for DT approval

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Tue Oct 11 21:21:27 UTC 2016

Amr —

Good point about Consensus level, and I thought a lot about that.   GNSO Working Group Guidelines (link<https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-01sep16-en.pdf>), at Section 3.6, suggests two possible designations for our recommendations:
Consensus - a position where only a small minority disagrees, but most agree.

 Strong support but significant opposition - a position where, while most of the group supports a recommendation, there are a significant number of those who do not support it.

I’d say we had Strong support but significant opposition on the Who and How questions described in the Evolution section of our report.

And for the recommendations on pages 1-2, I’d say we had Consensus — but qualified by the abstention of CSG reps.

As to whether we drop any discussion of how the DT came to its recommendation, that’s against the GNSO Working Group Guidelines (link<https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-01sep16-en.pdf>).  Specifically:

  1.  In cases of Consensus, Strong support but significant opposition, and No Consensus, an effort should be made to document that variance in viewpoint and to present any Minority View recommendations that may have been made. Documentation of Minority View recommendations normally depends on text offered by the proponent(s). In all cases of Divergence, the WG Chair should encourage the submission of minority viewpoint(s).