[Gnso-bylaws-dt] Another LAST CALL on revised DT report

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Tue Oct 11 23:01:49 UTC 2016

In the interest of getting this done, I offer the attached revised report, with these changes:

1. Made the page 1 edit proposed by Wolf-Ulrich in response to Amr, and added level of consensus, as requested by Amr.  It now reads:

Note: Three DT members (IPC, ISPCP, and BC) do not support Council exercising any of the new powers by voting within the present House-bound structure.  The recommendation that Council would speak for GNSO therefore has “Strong support but significant opposition”.  Nonetheless, all DT members contributed to consensus recommendations for voting thresholds on the assumption that GNSO Council would approve nominations and actions created under the new ICANN Bylaws.

2. On page 4 we follow Matthew’s request to shorten the “not sustainable” point while retaining Amr's added counter-arguments.  It now reads:

DT members from the Commercial Stakeholders Group said Council should not decide non-policy matters, since ICANN Bylaws say Council is “responsible for managing the policy development process of the GNSO”.   This implies that Council is limited to policy and that GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies should handle other matters.  On the other hand, some DT members noted that there is no provision in the Bylaws for any group, be it Council or the GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies, to assume these new powers and that there is currently no procedure for GNSO Stakeholder Groups to handle these matters.

For those of you counting words and looking for balance, that paragraph is now 49 words for each point of view!

So, are we good to go???   Please reply by 12 UTC on Wednesday 12-Oct.

—Steve