[Gnso-bylaws-dt] Actions & Notes: GNSO Drafting Team Meeting 02 October at 21:00 UTC

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Wed Oct 2 22:38:56 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Please see below the action items and notes captured by staff from the GNSO Drafting Team meeting held on 02 October 2019 (21:00-22:00 UTC).  Staff have posted these to the wiki space.  Please note that these are high-level notes and are not meant as a substitute for the recording, chat room, or transcript. The recording, AC chat, transcript and attendance records are posted on the wiki at: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=117609432.

Please note that all versions of the guidelines may be found on the wiki at: https://community.icann.org/display/GBIDT/Templates+and+Guidelines+Depository.

Best Regards,

Julie & Ariel

Action Items:

3.2 SO/AC Director Removal:

4.2.2 Requirements for an SO/AC Director Removal Petition and related 4.2.3: Change 4.2.3 to reflect that the Council leadership looks at the petition to see if it meets the requirements, the leadership can alert the petitioner to gaps, the petitioner has a reasonable amount of time to resubmit, and if there is no correct and complete petition then the process is terminated.

4.2.5: GNSO Community Feedback on Certified SO/AC Director Removal Petition: Resolve the comment.

4.2.6 GNSO Council Decision on Whether to Accept an SO/AC Director Removal Petition: Add “The GNSO House that appointed the affected Director shall submit the motion for a vote by the GNSO Council. The entire GNSO Council will participate in the vote.”

5.2.2 GNSO Community Feedback After SO/AC Director Removal Community Forum: Ask Mary Wong to check with her Team to make sure we are compliant (given the 7-day comment period from the Bylaws).

3.3 Board Recall:  David will suggest some language/approach on the list.

Next Steps for Reviewing all Guidelines: Heather and staff will suggest an approach.

Notes:

1. Updates to Statements of Interest: Tatiana Tropina moved to the Hague and started a new position with the government.

2. AOB:

a. Meeting with GRC on 21 October at 12:00 UTC – moving forward on joint consultation guidelines on 18.12

b. Dry Run of Approval Action – schedule a dry run for ICANN66.

3. Continue Discussion:

3.2 SO/AC Director Removal:

4.2.2 Requirements for an SO/AC Director Removal Petition:
From Heather: Suppose a petition is made, and it doesn't meet the requirements (these, as set out in 4.2.2, are pretty basic). Can another, new application be immediately submitted? Any limit on the timing between the old and new application? I personally am not convinced that this is a major issue that needs addressing, given how basic the requirements of 4.2.2 are. Note the related comment in 4.2.3 (ie, if GNSO Council leadership finds that the petition doesn't meet requirements, can applicant immediately resubmit?) Julie and David agree that immediate submission isn't appropriate. Again, I'm not convinced it's a major problem, unless we're thinking we are going to have vexatious filings.
-- If you haven’t submitted a petition properly the first time, probably don’t want to encourage a resubmission.  Should there be a time limitation?  What if there are new circumstances? What about fixing errors?
-- 4.2.3 – Council Leadership reviews for procedural check, not substantive (which happens later).  Admin review allows more wiggle room.
-- GNSO community feedback, especially from the House that appointed the Director, can inform the decision by the Council in terms of the substance of the petition?
-- And btw, the ‘rationale’ part for the petition is not required by the bylaws.
-- Could give Council leadership the authority to communicate with the petitioner to fill in anything missing.
ACTION: 4.2.3 Change to reflect that the Council leadership looks at the petition to see if it meets the requirements, the leadership can alert the petitioner to gaps, the petitioner has a reasonable amount of time to resubmit, and if there is no correct and complete petition then the process is terminated.

4.2.5: GNSO Community Feedback on Certified SO/AC Director Removal Petition: