[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 10 April 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Apr 10 14:30:41 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team call held on Thursday 10 April at 1300 UTC at:
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140410-en.mp3> http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140410-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO

Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Petter Rindforth – IPC
Jennifer Chung - RySG

Chris Dillon – NCSG

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC

Wanawit Ahkuputra– GAC

Peter Green – NCUC

Jim Galvin – SSAC

Sarmad Hussain – SSAC

Amr Elsadar – NCUC

Peter Dernbach - IPC

Apologies:
Rudi Vansnick – NPOC

Ephraim Percy Kenyanito – NCUC

ICANN staff:

Julie Hedlund

Amy Bivins

Lars Hoffmann

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx> http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 10 April 2014:

Terri Agnew:Dear all, welcome to the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG call on Thursday 10th April 2014

  Chris Dillon:Hello all!

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hello

  Peter Green-CONAC:Hi  Chris

  Wanawit Ahkuputra:Hellp

  Wanawit Ahkuputra:Hello eveyone

  Chris Dillon:Useful URL for today's call: https://community.icann.org/display/tatcipdp/13+Community+Input

  Julie Hedlund:All -- I have unsynced the document so you can move through it yourselves.

  Terri Agnew:Amr Elsadr has joined

  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Apologies for being late. Dialling in now.

  Terri Agnew:Peter Dernbach has joined

  Peter Dernbach:Thanks Terri. Apologies for joining late.

  Amr Elsadr:Can someone please point out what part of the document we're on now. Apologies. I just joined the call.

  Chris Dillon:We're up to p.2

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Chris.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:I'd have some comment in the "ICANN official translation" though

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:just wondering if we actually should focus on the  "validation &verification"

  Amr Elsadr:Interesting point Lars.

  Amr Elsadr:If there is a reason to contact the registrant, especially in cases where bad faith is an issue, will the translation provided by the registrant be trustworthy to act upon by those seeking to contact/investigate him/her/it?

  Lars Hoffmann:@amr: or even: will they be more trustworth than the original is

  Lars Hoffmann:*y

  Amr Elsadr:Also true.

  Amr Elsadr:@Peter: For the purpose of ensuring both accurate contact information and accurate trasformation, would validation/verification need to be done twice?

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:@Amr, I would agree with Lar .. v&v need to be done once, then the t&t you will find the way to do it and contact the registrant

  Amr Elsadr:Pitinan: I also agree, but wouldn't having transformed contact information that isn't also verified defeat the purpose of translation/transliteration?

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:@Amr, could you please rephrase, i'm not sure if I understand the question correctly

  Amr Elsadr:I agree with Lars that the priority should be the accuracy of the contact information in its native language/script. However, if transformation will become necessary, the transformed conact data is useless if it isn't also validated/verified. It's just another added cost, and raises additional challenges as Jim is pointing out for registrants who only speak their native languages. :)

  Lars Hoffmann:@amr: i agree! and thus my point that a lawyer or a law enforcment officer would always translate the most reliabe (ie original) inforamtion herself.

  Amr Elsadr:@Lars: +1

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:@Amr @Lar +1 +1 . however, what needs to be done, needs to be done anyhow. So if v&v of the original info is the must-do. Then we still have to do, and find the way to do it as minimum cost.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:*at minumum cost. ... so it should be some mechanism of ICANN accredit local v&v entities

  Lars Hoffmann:@pittiana, the v&v of contact info is, however, not in the remit of this group but most likely dealt with by the EWG.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:noted :)

  Lars Hoffmann:pitinan - sorry for the spelling!

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:no problem at all! :)

  Lars Hoffmann:@amr: the charter does not speak to the validation of the original contact info - i believe it is mentioned with regards to potential t&t of contacnt into.

  Amr Elsadr:@Lars: Yes. That's what I meant.

  Amr Elsadr:@Petter: OK. Thanks. It's the "final responsibility" term that threw me off a bit.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:for the T&T , additional to the cost of T&T, when one registrant hold more than one domain names

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:even he use the same contact info. it will need to be t&t twice, and also twice the cost ..

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Petter.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:it might be another thing we need to look into it

  Petter Rindforth:Sorry, have to leave now

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: I think the Public Comment process is the appropriate time for these other organizations to respond.

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: Yes. Absolutely.

  Peter Dernbach:@Amr good point.

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr/Chris: I think perhaps because the wiki and other information is publicly available, that may be triggering some of these responses.

  Julie Hedlund:At least to a certain extent -- to those in the community who have wiki access.

  Julie Hedlund:But also the archives/emails are available.

  Julie Hedlund:As is the information at the ICANN meetings.

  Amr Elsadr:I suggest we table these inputs until the public comment period is open.

  Peter Dernbach:Thanks Chris and all!

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone!

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks Chris and everyone!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Bye

  Lars Hoffmann:thanks everybody!

  Peter Green-CONAC:Bye all