[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Corrected Attendance, Presentation & MP3: Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 6 February 2014

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Fri Feb 7 12:29:02 UTC 2014

Dear All,

The apologies of Sarmad Hussain  and Amr Elsadr were omitted on the list and have now been added.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team  call held on Thursday 6 February at 14:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140206-en.mp3
On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#feb
Steve Sheng's presentation may be viewed directly

http://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/presentation-feasibility-study-06feb14-en.pdf
on page

http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/correspondence

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Chris Dillon - NCSG
Patrick Lenihan- NCUC
Jim Galvin - SSAC
Marc Blanchet - No SOI
Justine Chew - At-Large
Pitinan Koarmornpatna - GAC
Patrick Lenihan - NCUC
Ching Chiao - RySg
Jennifer Chung - RySG
Ahkuputra Wanawit - GAC
Wolf Knoben - ISPCP
Simon Perreault - No SOI
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP
Mae Suchayapim Siriwat - GAC
Apologies:
Ephriam Percy Kenyanito
Rudi Vansnick
Petter Rindforth
Amr Elsadr
Sarmad Hussain

ICANN staff:
Julie Hedlund
Lars Hoffman
Margie Milam
Steve Sheng
Glen de Saint Gery
Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Glen
Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
http://gnso.icann.org

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 6 February 2014:

 Lars Hoffmann:Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration PDP WG on 6 February 2013

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):Ching Chiao :-)

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):I am only on Adobe

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):Glen please also note my participation, thanks!

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):@Margie -- does EWG have the chance to cover other three recommendations from the IRD-WG report (especially access to WHOIS, both web and port 43, for IDN TLDs ?

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):sure thanks for the response

  Peter Green:An announcement from ICANN

  Peter Green:http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-05feb14-en.htm

  Justine Chew:@Steve, do you have some timelines for the other tasks you've listed in your email?

  Steve Sheng:Thanks Justine, my estimate would be before London meeting.

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):sorry have to cut off for another meeting. will listen to recording. tks chris and everyone

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you very much for your participation Ching

  Julie Hedlund:@Chris: This is the definition in the IRD-WG report: "Transliteration: The process of representing the characters of an alphabetical or syllabic system of writing by the characters of a conversion alphabet. <RFC6365>"

  Marc Blanchet:I would suggest to use "transformation" if people want to cover all kind of transformations (transliteration, translation, romanization,...).  We are currently using "transformation" in the study  when want to talk about any kind.

  Julie Hedlund:@Chris:  This is the definition in the Final Issue Report: "Transliterationistheprocessofrepresentingthecharactersofanalphabeticalorsyllabicsystemofwritingbythecharactersofaconversionalphabet.Iftransliterationweredesired,thenthe"mustbepresent"scriptwouldbetheLatinscript.Iftranslationweredesired,thenthe"mustbepresent"languagewouldbeEnglish."

  Julie Hedlund:Sorry about the lack of format!

  Marc Blanchet:agree. depends on the need.

  Peter Green:agree too. Transformation  covers all kinds of change

  Julie Hedlund:@Wolf-Ulrich: There is the definition for "translation" in the Final Issue Report, "Translation is the process of conveying the meaning of some passage of text in one language, so that it can be expressed equivalently in another language..

  Steve Sheng:Thanks Chris, this is good feedback, perhaps in the survey we ought to consider the definitions first as well.

  Julie Hedlund:@Steve: you might want to consider including definitions at the start of the survey, as in a taxonomy.

  Steve Sheng:yes

  Marc Blanchet:definitions as pointers. We don't want to overload the survey itself. People have  lvery short attention time to surveys.

  Lars Hoffmann:And i would also like to thank Glen for her help with this!

  Julie Hedlund:Yes thank you very much Glen!

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:thanks

  Jim Galvin:thanks bye!

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone!

  WANAWIT Ahkuputra:thanks chris