[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] WHOIS-Related Current and Completed Work

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Fri Feb 21 17:27:41 UTC 2014

Hi Julie,

Thanks for laying this all out for us. It’s quite helpful. Just in case I wasn’t clear during the call, my comment/question was related to two of the questions this PDP has been chartered to answer and listed on a separate page on the WG wiki:

Q6. When would policy come into effect?

I imagine that the timelines involved in the concurrent projects will influence the answer to this question, of course also depending on what this WG recommends on how desirable or undesirable it is to translate and/or transliterate contact info. The EWG on gTLD Directory Services is wrapping up its work with the public comment period on their report nearing conclusion. I guess this means we can expect an issue report on this soon.

Q7. What should be mandatory?

Although I personally think it would have been helpful for this PDP to address what data elements in registrants' contact info should be translated, this is not a really relevant observation right now. It is clearly outside of our scope, and in answering this question, we need to focus on wether it should be mandatory to translate/transliterate contact info associated with all gTLDs as well as for all registrants in all countries.

Perhaps, in light of all the projects potentially influencing this PDP and their timelines, we should start discussing the order in which we would like to answer our charter questions. That is assuming we’re settled on the actual questions. :)

Thanks.

Amr