[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 02 October 2014

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Oct 2 16:17:58 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group call held on Thursday 02 October at 1300 UTC at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20141002-en.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar# <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#oct> oct

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO

Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Chris Dillon – NCSG

Peter Dernbach- IPC

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana-GAC

Rudi Vansnick – NPOC

Jim Galvin - RySG

Petter Rindforth – IPC

Wanawit Akhuputra – GAC

Mae Suchayapim Siriwat – GAC

Jennifer Chung – RySG

Amr Elsadr – NCUC

Ubolthip Sethakaset – Individual

Emily Taylor - RrSG

Justine Chew- Individual

Apologies: none

ICANN staff:

Julie Hedlund

Lars Hoffmann

Amy Bivins

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page:  <http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx> http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 02 October 2014:

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the Translation and transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG call on the 2nd of October 2014

  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Dialling in now.

  Jim Galvin:My affiliation for this group is RySG, not SSAC.

  Jim Galvin:Note that Sarmad is no longer a member of SSAC.

  Amr Elsadr:Sarmad in ICANN staff now.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Mae Suchayapim Siriwat has also joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:as has Peter Dernbach

  Peter Dernbach:Hello all.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Jum, affiliation noted for attendance, thank you!

  Petter Rindforth:Amr, I'm open to hear what you suggest

  Amr Elsadr:I think we need to open up our policy recommendations for more discussion.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Petter.

  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr: i agree, and especially in this specific case

  Amr Elsadr:I would hold off on sharing any draft reports until we give full consensus a shot.

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: It's my understanding that this is a discussion document.  I wouldn't think anything would be shared until the WG agrees on a "final" Initial Report.  Of course, there is nothing that prevents the WG from using a consensus process on the recommendations in the Initial Report.

  Emily:Hi - does anyone have the passcode

  Amr Elsadr:Passcode is: Contact

  Julie Hedlund:It is "Contact"

  Amr Elsadr:Julie, I'm sorry. I was under the impression we were going to share this draft with the broader community in LA.

  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: I've reversed my position on this. :) I'd rather not do a consensus call now, and wait until we try to resolve the disagreements in the recommendations.

  Mary Wong:OK thanks :)

  Peter Dernbach:and Yoav Keren

  Amr Elsadr:Yoav is the council liaison for this PDP.

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: I think it's up to the WG to decide what they are ready to share in their discussions with the community, but as we are in the early stages the WG could decide that it is too early to have these discussions in their communities.

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: Yes. Thanks. Just my suggestion to not share at the time being. I believe we still have some work to do.

  Rudi Vansnick:do we have a replacement for him ?

  Julie Hedlund:@Rudi -- No, we don't from the SSAC.

  Julie Hedlund:I can ask if there are volunteers.

  Peter Dernbach:@Amr.  I thought our  GNSO Council liaison was  Ching Chiao

  Amr Elsadr:@Peter: Ah. Yes. I think you're right. Isn't Ching term limited though, and about to leave the Council? Not sure though.

  Peter Dernbach:@Amr I have no idea if he is term limited, but I was unaware of any change in our Council liaison.

  Amr Elsadr:I'm not aware of one either.

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Can we have control of the document?

  Mary Wong:@Amr, @Peter = if that is the case, the Chairs can point out to the GNSO in LA during their update that the group will need a new liaison.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Amr scrollling is enabled

  Amr Elsadr:Yes Mary, but we need to confirm with Ching.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Nathalie.

  Mary Wong:@Amr, yes

  Jennifer Chung:@ Mary/Amr - Yes, Ching's term as a GNSO councillor is about to end, we should bring this up during our meeting with the GNSO counsil

  Mary Wong:Thanks, Jennifer.

  Amr Elsadr:@Jennifer: Thanks.

  Mary Wong:All, on the Council liaison point, staff will include it as an action item for the Council at its wrap up session in LA (Thursday 16 Oct), as there are also other WGs that wil need new liaisons. Hope this is useful.

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Don't forget about Lars. :)

  Petter Rindforth:Well the IPC point of view is that translation and/or transliteration of contact information should 1) be mandatory for 2) all gTLDs.

  Chris Dillon:@Amr Thanks

  Amr Elsadr:I'm not sure if the scope of this PDP is limited to new gTLDs.

  Amr Elsadr:But I assume we can recommend whatever we want.

  Emily:Agree with Jim's comments about translation etc making contact easier

  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: +1

  Rudi Vansnick:@Lars: is your hand up  still the old one or a new request ?

  Emily:Google GMail is now supporting sending / receiving internationalised email addresses

  Amr Elsadr:@Emily: Yes. Read about that a couple of months ago, I think.

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Which last two bullet points are you referring to?

  Jennifer Chung:@Amr, I believe Chris is on pg 11, last 2 bullet points, Chris can you confirm?

  Amr Elsadr:@jennifer: I think you're correct. Thanks.

  Lars Hoffmann:old hand

  Amr Elsadr:I thought that there are already protocols that allow for IRD to be entered and displayed. Just not used yet.

  Emily:Agree with Jim - it's common patterns that are the useful information, not the meaning

  Chris Dillon:@Jennifer Yes.

  Emily:+1 to Jim.

  Mary Wong:@Jim, @Emily, would you propose eliminating the bullet point(s) or rephrasing them?

  Amr Elsadr:Not sure what accessibility means in this context.

  Emily:Accessibility is often used as a term of art in terms of access to people with disabilities

  Emily:Is this what we're aiming for?

  Amr Elsadr:Emily..., your only adding to my confusion. :)

  Emily:Doesn't mean it can't be used here, as long as we're clear on our intent :)

  Mary Wong:@Emily I can't speak for Justine but I don't believe that was the intent here.

  Lars Hoffmann:take place on Monday 13 October at 15:00 local time (22:00 UTC). http://la51.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-transliteration-contact

  Lars Hoffmann:Sorry - please nota that the WG's face-to-face meeting will take place on Monday 13 October at 15:00 local time (22:00 UTC). http://la51.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-transliteration-contact

  Emily:Thanks Chris

  Emily:@Amr Agree - we need to have evidence that the benefits will outweigh the costs

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Chris

  Emily:Thanks to you Chris for your leadership

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Petter Rindforth:Thanks

  Peter Dernbach:Thanks Chris and all.

  Jim Galvin:Thanks bye!

  Jennifer Chung:Thank you all, bye!

  Chris Dillon:Good bye all.

  Rudi Vansnick:bye

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone -- Goodbye and have a nice day!