[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Draft Initial Report attached

Lars Hoffmann lars.hoffmann at icann.org
Tue Sep 30 15:58:16 UTC 2014

Hi Amr, Emily, all

Thank your for your thoughts! And before I respond, please let me point out
that I have attached a first version of the Draft Initial Report.

Just a quick note clarifying my Œroadmap¹ from my original email and also
addressing the important points that have been raised.

Please note that this is a draft Initial Report. As such it is not yet ready
to go for public comment and it is not intended to go out before (nor
during) ICANN 51. The document is produced now so that WG members have a
substantial draft to present and discuss in LA. The Group will continue
discussing the draft on Thursday's call and in LA during its face-to-face
meeting. Potentially, further feedback from the community might come forward
and feed into further amendments following LA. Only then would it the
Initial Report be put out for public comment.

Because the Group is faced with a binary question, the idea was to provide
clearly to the community both sides of the argument that have been discussed
(for an against mandatory transformation) and also provide the two logical
recommendations that flow from these different sides of the arguments:
mandatory transformation; no mandatory transformation. This would be done to
help encourage community feedback during the public comment period that
follows the finalized Initial Report post ICANN51.

Also, the PDP Manual does not prescribe a mandatory formal consensus level
call be conducted for an Initial Report - though it is of course an option.
This is to allow for differences among WGs depending on each group¹s
deliberations to date, such that the WG and its co­Chairs could decide not
to determine consensus level at this stage, including on the basis that
community feedback is important for informing the Final Report and the
formal Consensus Call that will need to be done. In this way, relevant input
from the public comment period will be assessed and fed into the Final
Report that will only contain one set of recommendations, to be determined
after the formal Consensus Call takes place. At that point, Minority
Statement(s), if needed, can still be produced and attached to the Final
Report. You may be interested to know that this approach was also recently
followed for the IRTP-D and IGO-INGO PDP WGs.

In any case, the Draft Initial Report is an amalgamation of Chris¹ straw man
and Petter¹s modified version and so maybe a decision on which way to move
forward could be taken on Thursday when everybody had the chance to read
though the document? I would be able to amend the document very quickly
after Thursday¹s call - based on the way forwarded decided by the WG
membership.

I hope this clarifies the thinking that went into producing the Draft
Initial Report.

Best wishes,
Lars