[Gnso-dmpm-wg] First meeting of the Data & Metrics for Policy Making WG

Berry Cobb mail at berrycobb.com
Sat Mar 1 00:31:56 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Thank you for joining the Data & Metrics for Policy Making Working Group
(WG). This WG has been tasked by the GNSO Council to develop a Final Report
of recommendations pertaining to how data and metrics may better inform
policy making decisions within the policy development process. The Working
Group is expected to develop its Final Report on the basis of the GNSO
Working Group Guidelines
<http://gnso.icann.org/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-08apr11-en.pdf>
taking into account the staff Issue Report as well as the charter approved
by the GNSO Council.  At a minimum, the GNSO Council expects the Working
Group to provide recommendations based on the following tasks:

1.      Establish a baseline of current practices, capabilities and plans
with regard to; problem-reporting, complaint-submission notification,
problem-report tracking, external data use, and associated process
monitoring and improvement

2.      Develop preliminary recommendations, models and documentation that
can be used as the foundation for subsequent work

3.      Evaluate previous PDP and non-PDP Working Group efforts as use cases
to explore where metrics and reporting enhancements would have better
informed the outcome.  Suggested working groups include; RAP, IRTP (A-D),
PEDNR, UDRP Lock, Thick WHOIS, IGO-INGO, etc.

4.      Evaluate GNSO PDP documentation templates to determine how they may
be enhanced to better inform PDP and non-PDP processes

5.      Evaluate possible external DNS data sources that may benefit GNSO
policy-making. Examples of such sources include contracted parties and other
entities that track spam, phishing, botnets and cybersquatting.  The working
group may wish to define a preliminary matrix of what is available and any
associated costs if specific types of data were requested by a WG

6.      Prepare recommendations, obtain community input and publish a final
report for approval

7.      Coordinate and collaborate with Contractual Compliance to close out
resolution #1 of 2 that initiated this effort.

Our first meeting is scheduled for next week on 4 March 2014 at 21:00 UTC.
Call detail information was sent earlier this week to the list.  Given that
we will only have one additional meeting (likely 11 March) prior to the
ICANN Meeting in Singapore and given the upcoming time zone changes, we will
wait to establish our regularly scheduled call time after we return from the
Singapore Meeting.

In preparation for the first meeting, please take a moment to review the
relevant background documents, including the charter, which has been posted
on the WG webpage (see
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/dmpm).  Also, it is
important for WG members to complete their Statements of Interest:
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/New+SOIs.

As the election of a WG Chair is expected to take place during the first
meeting, volunteers are encouraged to express their interest ahead of the
meeting.

We'll be using Adobe Connect to facilitate the meeting. For those of you
using Adobe Connect for the first time, please find a short introduction
video here:  <https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/participatemeeting/>
https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/participatemeeting/.

Lastly, several of our members appear to be new to the WG process.  A GNSO
WG New Comer Open Session is scheduled for 6 March 2014 at 20:00 UTC with
another session scheduled on 3 April.  These session introduce new members
of the community to the process WGs follow as well as a review of the tools
available to assist with the collaboration of our global colleagues.  We may
also utilize one or two of our WG meetings to host the newcomer sessions.
See the announcement for an overview:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-28jan14-en.htm.

If you have any comments or questions, please let me know.

With best regards,

Berry A. Cobb

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers

720.839.5735

 <mailto:mail at berrycobb.com> mail at berrycobb.com

@berrycobb