[Gnso-epdp-team] Legal Advisory Group modalities

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Mon Jun 3 15:25:26 UTC 2019

Hi Janis,

it feels like an oversight, but it appears the RrSG is not represented
in this group. To correct this oversight, I hereby volunteer.

Best regards,

Volker Greimann

Am 31.05.2019 um 19:38 schrieb Janis Karklins:

> Dear EPDP Team,
>
> Further to the discussion in our recent meeting, please find an
> outline of the approach to handling legal questions and the
> chair-appointed members of the Legal Advisory Group.
>
> Those of you who participated in Phase 1 will remember we established
> a Legal Committee to review and revise proposed legal questions to
> ensure:
>
> (1) the questions are truly legal in nature, as opposed to policy or
> policy implementation questions;
>
> (2) the questions are phrased in a neutral manner, avoiding both
> presumed outcomes as well as constituency positioning;
>
> (3) the questions are both apposite and timely to the EPDP Team’s
> work; and
>
> (4) the limited budget for external legal counsel is being used
> responsibly.
>
> In order to forward these goals, I proposed that I work together with
> a small team of chair-appointed legal experts to review legal
> questions as they come in. The membership of this team is not
> representative, but expertise based. Members of the Legal Advisory
> Group are asked to provide advice based on their legal experience,
> factoring in all aspects of the conversation, not only that of their
> respective constituency. It is important to state that any output of
> deliberations of the Legal Advisory Group will be shared with the EPDP
> Team for review and agreement.
>
> At this time, I do not anticipate a weekly meeting schedule; the Legal
> Advisory Group will meet on an as-needed basis. The meetings will be
> open to anyone from the EPDP Team who would like to attend; however,
> only the chair-appointed legal experts will be invited to speak.
>
> I have also asked EPDP Support Staff to provide a recommendation for
> an initial categorization of the clarifying legal questions received.
> Specifically, Support Staff has reviewed the questions to determine:
>
> 1.if the questions relate to Phase 2 issues identified in the Mind
> Map, i.e., charter questions, questions in the Annex: Important Issues
> for Further Community Action, or issues deferred from Phase 1.
>
> 2.If the question is NOT related to the EPDP Team’s Phase 2 work, it
> will not be reviewed further. If the question does relate to Phase 2
> work, Support Staff will align the question with the relevant Phase 2
> issue and determine if the Phase 2 issue is a Priority 1 or a Priority
> 2 item.
>
> 3.Priority 1 questions, or questions related to a system for
> standardized access/disclosure, will be reviewed first.
>
> 4.Priority 2 items will be moved to the corresponding worksheets for
> further discussion following EPDP Team agreement on the scope and
> expected deliverable of the topic.
>
> 5.Once the initial parameters are agreed to, the Legal Advisory Group
> can better determine necessary legal guidance (if any) and will begin
> working on the Priority 1 questions identified.

> [...]
Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager
*KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH*

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Alexander Siffrin

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.