[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] The origins of how INGOs got into this process (as opposed to IGO)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Oct 15 18:24:59 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

During today's conference call, the topic of how INGOs got into this
process was raised. Researching the mailing list of the prior working
group, I believe the origin was the message at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-igo-ingo/msg00885.html

where one of the participants put forward the idea that:

"Accreditation by ECOSOC is equivalent to the IGO treaty requirements
and stands in fair stead to business oriented trademarks"

which, as Kristine noted in the chatroom during the call (I don't
think the transcript is available yet, but will be) is probably not
correct. i.e. her exact words were "I rather suspect it's much harder
to get included in a treaty than to get on the ECOSOC list..."

I agree with Kristine.

Anyhow, I thought it would be good to capture this "history", in case
we want to revisit this so-called "rationale" for adding INGOs.