[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] GAC LA Communique on IGO-INGO Curative Rights WG

Kathryn Kleiman kleiman at fhhlaw.com
Wed Oct 22 17:17:25 UTC 2014

All,
I agree with Phil’s message below, and think the GAC has strayed into the details of policy-making rather than the high level input of policy advice it normally gives. While the GAC may prefer a new dispute resolution mechanism, the fact is that creating one is a very difficult task, and probably unnecessary. As the US Trademark Office and other trademark offices have methods for reviewing IGO Certifications alongside pending trademark registrations (to evaluate overlap of services and confusion of names), so too could such a process, if appropriate, be fairly straightforward to adopt into the UDRP. But to create a standalone new process – yikes!

As many of you know, I served on the final drafting team of the UDRP – and would not like to repeat the experience.
Best,
Kathy (Kleiman)