[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Face to face facilitated Working Group session at ICANN52 in February 2015

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Oct 28 19:16:35 UTC 2014

Dear WG members,

At the GNSO Council¹s wrap up meeting in Los Angeles earlier this month, the
Council discussed the selection of the next Working Group that it thought
would be at a stage to benefit from the pilot project it is testing in this
financial year (FY15). The pilot project is basically a one-day face to face
meeting of a selected Working Group at an ICANN Public Meeting, with the
objective of assisting that selected WG to complete its work effectively and
efficiently through a full-day session run by a professional as well as a
community-based facilitator. As our WG is making good progress such as to be
on track for completing many of our chartered tasks by the ICANN53 Public
Meeting in June 2015, the Council has selected our WG for the one-day
facilitated session at ICANN52 in February 2015.

This will be the second group selected for this one-year pilot project, the
first having been the Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP
Working Group in Los Angeles. Feedback given by that WG following their
one-day session indicates that they found it extremely helpful in working
through some difficult questions and in further making progress toward
completion of their work.

Please note that funding for the one-day session is provided only for one or
two nights¹  hotel accommodation; it does not cover airfare or other travel
costs. In order to ensure sufficient representation at the meeting by the
broad diversity of interests represented in the GNSO and other ICANN groups,
each GNSO Stakeholder Group/Constituency and all other participating
Supporting Organization/Advisory Committees will each be assigned 6 hotel
nights (so that each group can nominate between 3 to 6 members to attend,
for 1 to 2 nights each.) With this in mind, staff therefore proposes that
the one-day session take place on the Friday immediately following the
official end of the ICANN meeting, i.e. Friday 13 February 2015.

Some of you may have heard that ICANN is currently considering postponing
the February 2015 meeting due to the possibility of travel restrictions to
Marrakech being placed on ICANN community members:
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-10-26-en. I do not at this time
have any updated information or confirmation of either a continuation,
postponement or cancellation of the Marrakech meeting; however, should the
meeting go ahead as planned, staff wanted you to have as much notice as
possible of the additional meeting day for our WG.

You may wish to note also that if your travel to ICANN52 will be covered at
least in part by ICANN Constituency Travel, I am informed that the names and
travel dates of ICANN-sponsored travelers will need to be submitted by 10
November 2014. Please look out for further notices about this and the fate
of the Marrakech meeting from my colleagues who are involved in meeting and
travel planning.

I¹d be happy to provide more information about the one-day facilitated
session on our call tomorrow.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong