[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] FW: [council] Board reply letter on IGO/RC issues and proposal on IGO acronyms protection from the IGO "small group"

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Oct 7 13:27:59 UTC 2016

P.S. One of the obvious ways to go after fraudulent donation sites is
also to use WHOIS accuracy complaints -- most (if not all?) fraudulent
donation sites are not using true WHOIS, otherwise law enforcement
would have a "slam dunk" case and simply show up at their door to
arrest them! These domain names would also be relatively new (i.e. age
under 2 weeks).

If we're designing " special rules" for these edge cases (i.e. under
0.1% of all domain names registered) [albeit, the law is perfectly
capable of handling these edge cases already], there should be a clear
safe harbour for the 99.9%. i.e. if one has true WHOIS or if the
domain name is older than 2 weeks, one should never be subject to
these proposed extra-judicial procedures. Except, the IGOs never say
that --- they instead propose procedures that would apply to 100% of
domain name registrants, not creating any demarcation or safe harbour.
This allows for an ever-expanding definition of "abuse" and
ever-expanding use of an extra-judicial procedure which (at one time)
was supposed to be limited to certain exception "edge cases".