[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Advice on IGOs from the GAC's Johannesburg Communique

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Jul 3 12:37:20 UTC 2017

Paul:

Thank you for this helpful input.

Brian made a similar statement during the F2F meeting of the WG in Johannesburg, and it struck me as odd because we have of course found instances of IGOs using the UDRP, and standing for the UDRP is based upon trademark rights.

I believe you are also correct in your perception that the GAC relies upon IGO input to inform its view on IGO CRP and the initial recommendations of our WG, and that WIPO has the most influence on the shaping of the GAC’s view. Therefore, WIPO has particular responsibility to provide accurate and balanced input to the GAC.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW