[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] A clean appraisal regarding NGOs

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Jul 14 16:28:04 UTC 2017

Just to followup on my prior email, Paul Keating's suggestion was
focused on a "post UDRP", where presumably the domain name registrant
actually responded to the UDRP (and thus was required to complete the
certification required under the "Rules" --- both ICANN's rules and
the UDRP provider's Supplemental Rules).

However, as a thought experiment, it seems to me that a domain name
registrant that *immediately* goes to court after receiving a
complaint (and doesn't wait until after filing a response, i.e.
****doesn't agree***** to the certifications) might be in a much
stronger position vis-a-vis being able to get a court order against
the UDRP provider/panelists/ICANN/etc. (although, the agreement
between the registrar and the registrant, as mandated by the RAA,
might cause the registrar and/or ICANN to be better shielded from a
suit)

By the way, it was stated by Paul Keating that there were "In the
context of a typical UDRP, there are 4 parties that have potential
control over the remedy – or an interest:" --- I think it could be
higher, i.e. one might include the registry too, to go over the head
of the registrar. And, perhaps even ICANN itself.....(although that'd
be an uphill battle).