[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Allocation of time for Options #3 and #4 for next week's agenda

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed Jul 19 14:31:32 UTC 2017

George;

Our draft agenda for this week's call does reserve time for you to present your proposals and have a WG discussion.

Some personal comments:

In regard to your option 3, which as I understand it would have IGOs enter into a recognition of mutual jurisdiction only in regard to domain transfer or extinguishment, but not in regard to other penalties (e.g., monetary damages) that might be available per the national law on which the appeal was based, I'd be interested in hearing whether a court would likely respect such limited waiver, especially if the domain registrant undertaking the appeal was seeking additional penalties provided for by the law.

As for option 4, which as I recall was a rather complex proposal to have one set of rules for existing domains and another for domains registered after the effective date of adoption of any policy proposals recommended by this group, I have significant concerns about it for the following reasons:

*         Any complex proposal tends to raise a host of additional issues (such as treatment of domains transferred or repurposed after the effective date)

*         Council and the ICANN Board may feel that we have not fulfilled our Charter mandate by proposing a solution that pertains only to future gTLD domains and not those presently registered

*         It may be based on a  view that we are proposing a change in treatment that adversely affects the rights of existing domain registrants, whereas my view is that the Option 2 we have been discussing would assure current registrants of a form of appeal that would be unavailable today

I look forward to a robust discussion of your proposals.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal

Virtualaw LLC

1155 F Street, NW