[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Attempt at Achieving Full Consensus -- Option #4

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Jun 27 13:38:20 UTC 2017

George:

Thank you for this comment. The WG will of course discuss all elements of the multi-part Option 4 that you have put forward for consideration.

However, in regard to your statement about "not taking away the legal rights of registrants (or successors in
interest, i.e. transfers) of currently registered domain names", this co-chair wishes to go on record as rejecting any implication that anything produced to date by this WG would "take away" the legal rights of domain registrants.

The proposal submitted by IGOs, for a separate DRP in which registrants would have no right of de novo judicial appeal, would have stripped registrants of those rights and has consequently been rejected, on both legal and implementation/effectiveness grounds, by a consensus of WG members.

Our Initial Report preserved the legal right of DN registrants to seek judicial appeal in a court of mutual jurisdiction, and our Final Report appears likely to do the same. The remaining issue that we are discussing is what  should happen when a registrant files such appeal and an IGO successfully asserts an immunity defense to the satisfaction of the presiding judge. In this regard, the Option 2 under discussion is more favorable to DN registrants that current practice in that it would shift the appeal to an arbitration forum under the terms of the national law on which the appeal was brought. It has been the unanimous view of all attorneys we have consulted that if this scenario arose today the UDRP decision would be reinstated upon dismissal of the judicial action and the domain would be transferred or extinguished, leaving the registrant with no meaningful appeal.

The balancing factor for IGOs is that, just as we have determined that ICANN would not grant them blanket immunity in advance of a UDRP/URS filing, we leave the determination of the immunity defense to the presiding judge. As Prof. Swaine's memo opined, it would not be unreasonable to require IGOs to renounce the immunity defense to gain the benefits of a lower cost and more rapid DRP than filing a lawsuit. We have not gone that far with a view to as best as possible balancing the legitimate rights and interests of both domain registrants and IGOs while striving to produce a Final Report and Recommendations that can gain approval by the GNSO Council.

Regards, Philip