[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] FW: [Discussion-igo-rc] Meetings in Johannesburg relating to IGO Protection

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Jun 27 16:15:31 UTC 2017

Just to followup on this, and it came up again during today's call,
apparently Brian Beckham of WIPO was completely mischaracterizing
things, see the post by James Bladel to that other IGO list at:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/discussion-igo-rc/2017-June/000185.html

It's odd that Beckham would raise the issue *again *today, despite the
above email being sent on June 19th, more than a week ago. So, the
Rapid Suspension was simply an IGO proposal, and there was absolutely
no "agreement" by ICANN or Crocker to do anything. Beckham simply
quoted the IGO proposal from page 3 of:

https://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/crocker-icann-board-to-council-chairs-04oct16-en.pdf

(very top) which was appended to Crocker's correspondence, rather than
quoting anything Crocker himself said.

That's the thing about "immunity", you can make false statements and
mischaracterize other people's alleged "agreements", with impunity,
and do it repeatedly (i.e. he did it on June 16th, in the email, and
then again today, after already being corrected by Bladel in the June
19th email).

Is it any wonder that WIPO and other IGOs didn't participate in this
PDP as members, when their statements can be challenged, preferring
instead to work in opaque private groups and behind closed doors with
the GAC, diametrically opposed to the transparency required of ICANN
processes? Their input should be weighted accordingly and be viewed
with skepticism.