[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] MP3, Attendance & AC Chat for IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG call on Thursday, 04 May 2017

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Thu May 4 20:23:14 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and MP3 recording along with the AC recording and chat below for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection PDP WG Meeting held on Thursday, 04 May2017 at 16:00 UTC.

Mp3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-crp-pdp-04may17-en.mp3
AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p7zh4k5xsa0/<https://participate.icann.org/p7zh4k5xsa0/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=c2f1519bc5e7ea0d9d7342497db158484df5018174c1d809ce161113d2020cf4>

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__audio.icann.org_gnso_gnso-2Dcrp-2Dpdp-2D13oct16-2Den.mp3&d=DQMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=asM5JoG30Yqf49-Nims9k3McNfFtmzlAe1HmuXI6wic&s=0nZvoU1RqsjvPcNWDN_a2vVZDp9uXeyGO8NN2dN5h74&e=>The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DQMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=wBBn3Ar2_mvUeGcM8rpOAyluUFEJFG5lASQ-cAccI2k&s=3BfiwO43tzwlrIbIyBY4Q-14zsFQCX518fLLR8GWR7I&e=>

Attendees:
David Maher (RySG)

George Kirikos

Jay Chapman

Mason Cole

Paul Tattersfield

Petter Rindforth

Philip Corwin

Poncelet Ileleji

Apologies: Osvaldo Novoa, Paul Keating

ICANN staff:
Nathalie Peregrine

Mary Wong

Steve Chan

Berry Cobb

Dennis Chang

Eric Evrard

Julie Bisland

Michelle DeSmyter

Wiki Agenda page:   https://community.icann.org/x/OQPfAw

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Julie

-------------------------------
Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 04 May 2017

   Julie Bisland:Welcome to the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms Working Group call on Thursday, 04 May 2017 at 16:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

  Julie Bisland:Agenda Wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_OQPfAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=RX60n61vUwQ1D2MVchuxr_Nw6Jr5X4vSowyDAzhR8k8&s=VRabae1w7gw3fwUhgAuiLtaEiOJ-n3V64m-Fe8l5gKo&e=

  George Kirikos:Hi folks.

  Petter Rindforth:Hi All :-)

  George Kirikos:Hi Petter. How's it going?

  Petter Rindforth:You will soon hear the latest news

  George Kirikos:Perhaps blast out a reminder email?

  Paul Tattersfield:Hi everyone

  George Kirikos:Hey Paul. How are you?

Paul Tattersfield:I'm good, George - Nice Spring Summer day here, how are you and Canada?

  Michelle DeSmyter:we have Philip Corwin on Audio only at this time

  George Kirikos:I'm doing fine, thanks. Very rainy here in Toronto.

  George Kirikos:1 staff member per participant. :-)

  Mary Wong:That's personalized service for the community, George :)

  George Kirikos:Indeed, Mary! lol

  Paul Tattersfield::)

  George Kirikos:Here's a link to the latest emails on that list: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/discussion-igo-rc/2017-May/date.html

  George Kirikos:The email Petter is reading from: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/discussion-igo-rc/2017-May/000156.html

  Mary Wong:We will be reviewing the OECD's and other IGOs' views on some points in Prof Swaine's memo as part of this current discussion on new facts and arguments.

  Paul Tattersfield:We were also very rigorous in the selection of an Expert

  George Kirikos:+1 Phil

  George Kirikos:Seems there's a big overlap -- maybe they should just join our group. :-)

  George Kirikos:We seemed to be swayed last week into changing the Article 6ter from "proof" of TM rights, to "evidence" of common law TM rights. Do I have that right?

  George Kirikos:("proof" of standing, vs. "evidence" of common law TM rights, rather)

  Mary Wong:@George, Art 6ter never proved TM rights

  Mary Wong:(and we acknowledged that in our Initial Report - that it doesn't confer substantive legal rights)

  George Kirikos:Article 6ter DB does show list of objectors. e.g. search at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.wipo.int_ipdl_en_6ter_&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=RX60n61vUwQ1D2MVchuxr_Nw6Jr5X4vSowyDAzhR8k8&s=u9EjftHctS4FHa3aHeuISyUusu1IViB72vt1tTBBPNI&e=  (bottom field can be switched to United States).

  George Kirikos:@Mary: right, not TM rights, most "it was sufficient from standing initially; now we seem to be moving to the position of it being 'evidence' of standing (not sufficient, but evidence), via evidence of common law rights.

  Mary Wong:@George, that seemed to be the tenor of the WG's most recent discussions (though I need to say again that staff has serious concerns about that as well).

  George Kirikos:Ugh, typos; "before, it was sufficient for standing initially, ......)

  Paul Tattersfield:What kind of serious concerns  Mary?

  Mary Wong:6ter only confers protections that allow IGOs to prevent third parties from registering trademarks in Member States, we are not sure that "translates" into any evidence of unregistered right in any jurisdiction.

  George Kirikos:Eliminates the need for the GAC to come up with a list in secret.

  George Kirikos:Kind of like how ICANN relies on a separate group for the 2-letter ccTLD codes.

  Mary Wong:There is no substantive test or evaluation of a 6ter notification. It's just sent to Member States, who then deal with that according to their own individual laws (and as the USG comment notes, that is not uniform).

  George Kirikos:(ICANN relies on the ISO list, see: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Country-5Fcode-5Ftop-2Dlevel-5Fdomain&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=RX60n61vUwQ1D2MVchuxr_Nw6Jr5X4vSowyDAzhR8k8&s=lXO2goFtTZUtrGCFUbK2qKjFfOEVkxy-Fgq7zhooMf0&e=  )

  Mason Cole:Unfortunately, must exit the call early today.  Thanks Petter and Phil for the timely update on Bruce's proposal.  Talk with you all soon.

  George Kirikos:Bye Mason.

  Paul Tattersfield:As with trademarks it's use that matters - registration  / 6ter listing  are comparable, both simply evidence the claims

  George Kirikos:+1 Paul. There are 3 prongs to satisfy to win a UDRP. Seems there's a tempest in a teapot re: the 1st prong.

  Jay Chapman:I also have to go for today.  I'll catch up on transcripts - good day, everyone

  George Kirikos:Bye Jay!

  George Kirikos:The example Phil gave to the mailing list today also showed it can be non-commercial, and still be victorious in the UDRP.

  George Kirikos:(which seemed to be a huge concern for IGOs)

  George Kirikos:Press releases, newspaper articles, lots of other sources of evidence.

  George Kirikos:(website archives)

  George Kirikos:Perhaps we scan scale back the recommendation so that it applies *only* if Article 6ter is used for evidence?

  Poncelet Ileleji:I concur on that George

  Mary Wong:@George, there isn't a necessary link

  George Kirikos:(IGO doesn't need to use Article 6ter, but if they do, then......)

  Mary Wong:If 6ter is NOT the basis for standing but merely evidence of standing, then there is no reason to incorporate the rest of 6ter into the UDRP, is there?

  George Kirikos:(although, conceivably that's an argument that can be raised by respondents, without us having to make it formal guidance)

  Philip Corwin:The criticisms to item #2 are all avoided if we just use 6ter as evidence of common law TM rights

  George Kirikos:So, we can just remove that recommendation entirely, and leave it up to the Respondent to raise it as a point, when considering the 2nd and 3rd prongs of the UDRP?

  George Kirikos:(i.e. "my website has nothing to do with the IGO, so isn't being used in bad faith"; coexistence)

  George Kirikos:Should we have a raise of hands?

  Poncelet Ileleji:i raised my hand I concur

  George Kirikos:Or checkmarks.

  George Kirikos:https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-crp-access-initial-19jan17-en.pdf

  George Kirikos:Recommendation           #3:          The        WG does             not         recommend       any         specific                changes               to            the         substantive        grounds               under    the         UDRP    or            URS        upon                which    a              complainant       may       file          and        succeed               on           a              claim      against  a                respondent        (e.g.       as            listed     in            Section 4(a)(i)    - (iii)      of            the         UDRP). However,                the         WG proposes    that        the         Policy    Guidance             document           referred               to            in                Recommendation            #2           includes               a              further recommendation             that        UDRP    and                URS        panelists              should take        into        account                the         limitation             enshrined           in                Article   6ter(1)(c)             of            the         Paris      Convention        in            determining       whether              a                registrant            against  whom   an           IGO        has         filed       a              complaint            registered           and                used      the         domain name    in            bad        faith.

  George Kirikos:Ugh. Poor copy/paste.

  David Maher (RySG):I have to drop off

  Mary Wong:It's been copied into the Notes pod, if that's easier.

  George Kirikos:So we can delete Rec #3 entirely, then?

  George Kirikos:I understand, yes. Keeping the first part of #3 makes sense.

  George Kirikos:To clearly state that the 3-prong test shouldn't be changed for IGOs.

  George Kirikos:(i.e. it puts on the record that we actually considered and reviewed the topic)

  Philip Corwin:That's fine. We can delete #3 and note elsewhere in final report we are not recommending substantive change.

  George Kirikos:We can maybe even renumber the recommendations, so that Rec #3 (first part) goes before Rec 2 (as modified by our latest analysis).

  Mary Wong:@George, yes - it doesn't need to be a separate recommendation for us to place it clearly on the record.

  Mary Wong:Thanks, Phil.

  Philip Corwin:So that's a change in oral statement I made a few minutes ago.

  George Kirikos:Or, we can rephrase it affirmatively, "recommend that the 3-prong test be retained". :-)

  George Kirikos:This was just "new arguments", though.

  George Kirikos:(that's a different document)

  Mary Wong:@George, yes that was why we extracted these only for this table.

  George Kirikos:+1 Mary

  George Kirikos:It's just for us to reconsider whether we "missed anything"

  Mary Wong:@Phil, no worries at all - we appreciate that you are very supportive of staff and were not saying we were selectively providing only one side of an argument to influence the discussion :)

  Mary Wong:If everyone agrees that we understand the points made about consenting to Mutual Jurisdiction = waiver of immunity, problems with using assignees, and different views about the Swaine memo, then the more substantive discussion can be on Option 2 and arbitration, and on a possible separate DRP.

  George Kirikos:You meant if we adopt option 2?

  George Kirikos:(option 2 involved arbitration; option 1 was to vitiate)

  Mary Wong:I've pasted the language we used for both Options in the Notes pod.

  George Kirikos:And we've seen that IGOs have even brought court cases, so they can, do and have waived their immunity, when the circumstances warranted.

  George Kirikos:Option 2 would be criticized by registrants, too.

  Mary Wong:The WG can provide guidance to ICANN on the type of providers to select in relation to who decides, if Option 2 is where we go. In terms of the actual rules to govern the arbitration, as Phil notes, we can look at the UNCITRAL rules and other major rules as well.

  Mary Wong:Do you want to propose a break for 18 and 25 May?

  George Kirikos:We can still have email discussions, though.

  Mary Wong:@George, absolutely.

  Paul Tattersfield:Thanks all, bye

  George Kirikos:Bye everyone!

  Poncelet Ileleji:bye all