[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Proposed agenda and documents for Working Group meeting on Thursday 27 July

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Thu Nov 16 16:51:17 UTC 2017

Phil,

Thanks for the email and sorry I will not be on the call.  I have a client
call that conflicts.

I also understand you are opposed to the views expressed below but mainly
from a political viewpoint -  that being that the ICANN board and GAC have
seemingly rejected the initial conclusions of the WG which was to make no
change.  I believe your point is that we should come up with a political
compromise that could be accepted.

I respectfully disagree.  We have done the work and we have obtained both
evidence and legal opinions that support that work.  If ICANN does not wish
to accept the conclusions then that is not in-and-of-iteelf a reason to
change what we have originally concluded.  ICANN can reject the result and
appoint a new WG to try to reach a different conclusion.  They could act
independently and outside of the system.  However, in any case:

The current situation remains in place, albeit absent the vitiating of the
UDRP decision.
The new WG would have to contend with our prior findings which would be
difficult to ignore
ICANN ­ in acting alone ­ would have to deal with the political issues that
come with such actions.

None of these should be our concern.  We are tasked to examine the question
and reach a consensus based upon the evidence and the legal opinions we have
obtained.  I do not believe that we have concluded that there is in fact a
problem (in fact all evidence seems to the contrary ­ IGOs have used the
UDRP system as it is and there is no evidence that any have refrained from
taking curative steps because of the sovereign immunity issue).  Given that
landscape it is improper IMHO to attempt to forge a political solution that
creates substantial burdens for domain name registrants, upsets their long
standing contractual rights and expectations, and creates yet another
curative rights mechanism.

Respectfully,

Paul Keating