[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Arbitration costs would be HIGHER than court costs

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Wed Nov 22 21:56:44 UTC 2017

Phil,

First, regarding costs of arbitration, the salient report was not about the
ICANN arbitration but rather the filing fees and anticipated costs of using
NAF, AAA and JAMS - all of whom have minimum fees plus additional fees based
upon the ³value² of the dispute.  So when speaking about a 3-letter domain
name, the value will be high 5 to mid 6 figures.  A substantial fee.

Second, responding to your comments:

> But the most salient point is that Option 3 does not compel the parties to
> utilize arbitration as an alternative to judicial review; doing so requires
> mutual consent. If either party feels that this route is more expensive than
> judicial process or has other disadvantages it can withhold that consent.

PRK:  If the arbitration process requires both parties to agree then it is
an agreement to agree and is not enforceable against anyone.  What benefit
would this be to any party?  What is the benefit of creating such a complex
system?  They can already call each other up and contractually agree to hold
arbitration.

> As for the availability of arbitration in the rare circumstance of an IGO
> succeeding in its claim of immunity from judicial process, that provides a net
> benefit to domain registrants compared to current policy by providing an
> opportunity to get a determination on the merits under applicable national
> law, an opportunity that is not available today in the same scenario.

PRK:  This ³net benefit² exists ONLY when a respondent is faced with a
Mutual Jurisdiction whose courts do not recognize a cause of action the
Respondent can plead.  As noted, the MJ provision does not foreclose use of
any otherwise appropriate jurisdiction.  For the majority of domains (those
run by Verisign) jurisdiction is per se existing in the US (that is where
the domain registry - and thus the domain for in rem purposes - is located)
and the ACPA grants a specific right of action.  The only additional hurdle
that a respondent would have to satisfy (if the US was not the stated MJ)
would be to obtain a court order enjoining the transfer.  This can be
obtained ex-parte.  And, even if not obtained, most registrant agreements
state that receipt of a complaint will result in a lock on the domain ­
which does not guaranty that the UDRP decision would not be enforced but
adds some weight.  Strong arguments can also be made for an order to reverse
the UDRP decision during the litigation even if the transfer has taken
place.

As a final point, I note that the task of creating the applicable rules for
any proposed arbitration process would be enormous and consume many hundreds
of hours.  I am sorry but I just do not see it.

I fully understand the desire to create a result that the GAC and IGOs will
accept.  I understand that the Board may not accept a recommendation along
the lines of our initial recommendation.  But that is life as they say and I
don¹t believe it is our task to presume a problem exists when neither the
evidence nor applicable law shows that it does.  And, our attempt to
recommend changes to the UDRP based upon that presumed problem, I believe,
goes beyond our mandate.

Paul

On 11/22/17, 6:32 PM, "Gnso-igo-ingo-crp on behalf of Corwin, Philip via
Gnso-igo-ingo-crp" <gnso-igo-ingo-crp-bounces at icann.org on behalf of