[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Options Related to Recommendation 4: Provisional Agreements and Request for Response

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Sep 20 00:10:23 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

Just to be clear, I don't believe this PDP or working group has made a
"provisional agreement" on anything in relation to Recommendation 4 at
this time. In particular, various options were discussed in terms of
incorporating elements of Options #3 and #6 into Option #2, in order
to making it more palatable to those who are in favour of other
options (i.e. those who favour Option #1, or Option #4, etc).

My understanding has been that those suggested improvements to the
bare Option #2 will *then* be presented as a potential package for
consideration, *along* with the existing options that are still on the
table (which haven't been dismissed). And when it comes time have a
consensus call/vote, we can see which option(s) win the support of the
group.

So, to the extent that there's "provisional agreement", it's only to
the extent of how to *supplement* the bare Option #2, without
prejudice to any other options that still exist.

If we want to be explicit about rankings, I'm still of the view that
the best choices are roughly (in order from best to worst):

(a) Option #1 (set aside the UDRP decision if the IGO successfully
asserts immunity in court)
(b) Option #4 (i.e. Option #1 for existing domains, Option #2 for
newly created ones)
(c) Option #3 + Option #6 as a package (to capture the in-rem and
quasi in-rem elements)
(d) Option #2 strengthened with elements from Options #3 and #6 (what
we've been discussing the past few weeks), as a package
(e) Option #2 alone (arbitration if IGO successfully asserts immunity in court)

but at this point, the broader PDP membership hasn't yet weighed in,
to see which option(s) do have consensus support.