[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Update on appeal filed under Section 3.7 of the Working Group Guidelines

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Thu Feb 1 05:37:17 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

The co-chairs' summary and proposed path forward doesn't match up with
what was agreed on the January 18, 2018 call. I even wrote a summary
email (to the participants of the call) immediately after the call,
and here it is in its entirety:

----- start of summary email of January 18, 2018 -----------------
Thanks to everyone for a very productive call. We were at risk of
getting side-tracked a few times, but in the end it's nice to see we
found a way forward (subject to the input of the working group
members). So, the "action items" seem to be:

1) tell the rest of the PDP working group about our proposed way
forward (i.e. asking GNSO council for facilitator, brainstorming that,
promoting it for maximum participation, Doodle poll to find best times
for all 25 people, etc.) Possible use of a "regular" poll should the
facilated process not reach the desired result/consensus. Regular poll
would have docs prepared in advance outlining all the options, and
agreed upon questions to ask (not solely created by the co-chairs).

2) tell GNSO council to remove the agenda item provisionally added for
the January 30 meeting (eliminates need at this moment to respond to
this week's PDF, and keeps everything within our PDP working group
going for now)
----- start of summary email of January 18, 2018 -----------------

(1) in particular matches up with what's in the transcript of the call
(see page 30 of transcript at
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsoicrpmpdp/2018-01-18+Discussion+Call
)

A poll (non-anonymous, and agreed to by all before it got sent out,
unlike the last one) was supposed to be a "last resort", *IF* the
facilitated process to reach consensus failed. In other words, if it
was ever to take place, it would only be *after* the facilitated
process.

Instead, the co-chairs are proposing a poll *before* such a
facilitated process, which I don't agree with. That was not part of
the January 18, 2018 agreement.

Then they're proposing analysis of such poll results too, *before* the
facilitated session(s). Instead of actually consulting with the
working group members (e.g. via a Doogle poll) to find a date/time
that can yield the maximum participation of the membership, as was
agreed, the co-chairs are instead proposed it for ICANN61.

Anyhow, I don't agree with the newly proposed process at all, as it
doesn't reflect what was agreed on January 18, 2018. If the co-chairs
are reneging on that agreement, I intend to invoke Section 3.7 again.

I suggest the co-chairs instead propose what was actually agreed to on
January 18, 2018, namely:

1. the use of a facilitator to assist in reaching working group
consensus (with broad outreach to pick a date/time that is suitable
for maximum participation)
2. if that facilitated process is held and is unable to reach the
consensus, a last resort non-anonymous poll that is created by the
group (not solely by the co-chairs like last time) would be done