[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Thick Whois Policy Implementation Status

Fabien Betremieux fabien.betremieux at icann.org
Tue May 12 16:01:24 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

As you may know, since our last meeting at ICANN 52, two notable
developments relevant for the Thick Whois Implementation have occurred:
* the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) RFCs were published at IETF
on 25 March (http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/weirds/documents/)
* the Whois Clarification Advisory was published on 27 April
(https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/registry-agreement-raa-rdds-2015-04-2
7-en)
We have been actively considering how best to leverage these events in the
interest of the Thick Whois Policy Implementation:
* With respect to the implementation of the Consistent Labeling & Display
part of the policy, we are seeking to focus synchronization with the
roll-out of RDAP only, instead of both Whois Clarification Advisory and
RDAP. We plan to introduce a revised implementation plan proposal during our
next meeting.
* Regarding the transition from thin to thick of .COM, .NET and .JOBS, we
are finalizing the legal review memo and aim to engage shortly to discuss
implementation details.
We intend to organize a meeting with the IRT to discuss our proposals and
next steps at the very latest during our next ICANN meeting in Buenos Aires
(http://buenosaires53.icann.org <http://buenosaires53.icann.org/> ). In the
meantime, we are considering the possibility to hold a preparatory
conference call in early June (to be confirmed).

Thank you in advance for your attention and your patience.

Best Regards,

--
On Behalf of the Thick Whois Implementation Project Team
Fabien Betremieux