[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] The thing that should not be

theo geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 6 20:16:34 UTC 2016

One of the Metallica tracks i never liked much. Anyways.

Domain transfers with contacts at the registry to a registrar that
cannot deal with it.
It would create two different sets of contacts, one at the registry, one
at the registrar. When the registrant updates the data it would be
updated at the registrar level but not at the registry level.

This will create issues, or to be more precise, this is going to be a
train wreck.

FRANCISCO's solution: if a registrar is not yet ready to manage contacts
in the registry, one thing they could do if they are the gaining
registrar in transfer when they accept the transfer, they immediately
remove the contacts from the registry so that you don’t have stale
contacts in the registry.
Question: if the contact is no longer at the registry, but only at the
registrar, are we going to reverse the issues? There is some rather
specific language in IRTP C, will this create issues?

Our dev team thinks they can implement the above solution, however, we
did not discuss the amount of time involved.
The solution works if it is allowed at the Registry level.

Assuming this is allowed (still, an if) then we do not know how it will
affect registrars. Up till now, we assumed this was some simple
migration. With the above in mind, not so much in my opinion. To give
you guys an example, we used to be a wholesale registrar nowadays we
make our money from our registrar gateway platform.
So if we gonna make a few changes, it will affect not just us as a
registrar but a boatload more. So we have a different architecture than
other registrars. This just being an example on how registrars set up
their backends, we are not unique.

Thanks for reading this.

Theo