[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Open Item 7b - Coordination/Incentive for Registrars Migration to Thick

Fabien Betremieux fabien.betremieux at icann.org
Mon Aug 8 21:46:58 UTC 2016

Dear IRT Members,

As Staff is working on drafting the implementation plan, including potential
measures that could be implemented or suggested to facilitate and encourage
Registrars to complete the migration of registration data from thin to
thick, we would like to pick IRT members brains about the type of measures
they believe would or would not be effective for themselves and others .

To date, several ideas have been floated in IRT discussions:
* Using renewal date of a registration as a pacing mechanism to migrate
registration data
* Setting up financial incentives plans similar to what some ccTLDs have
done to promote the adoption of DNSSEC
* Not replicating the migration in batch implemented during the migration of
.ORG from thin to thick
Can you think of other effective (or non effective) measures ?

Thanks in advance for your discussion of this topic.

Best Regards
Fabien