[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Thick WhoIs IRT - contact validation rules

Anderson, Marc mcanderson at verisign.com
Mon Feb 1 20:54:00 UTC 2016

Dear IRT Members,

At the last IRT meeting we discussed that in order for Registrars to properly assess the amount of work involved in the backfill of thick data for existing Registrations, it is necessary to know the fields required and their validation rules.

Along with providing that information, I want to make sure everyone has the same understanding of the difference between a thin Registry and a thick Registry.  A thin domain registration does not have any contacts associated with it.  Currently, a Registrar cannot even create contacts for the .com or .net Registry.

As part of a transition to thick, the com/net registry would start supporting contacts by allowing Registrars to add, modify and delete contacts.    A thick domain registration MUST have a contact ID for each contact type (Registrant, Admin, Technical and Billing).  The same contact can be re-used across domains and/or contact types.  For example, if a Registrant were to register two domains in a thick gTLD via the same Registrar, that Registrar could create one contact and associate that with both domain registrations or could create two separate contacts, one for each domain.  Either is fine, but I'm calling it out because it will have an impact on the effort required by Registrars to backfill thick data for existing registrations.  There are no other differences between a thin and a thick registration.

I recognize that the Billing contact is not universally required by all thick Registries.  Some (including Verisign) require it; some allow it as an optional field and some don't allow it at all.  I don't believe this was addressed by the Thick WhoIs PDP working group so it may be worth consideration by the IRT.

Attached please find a document containing the contact validation rules that Verisign would implement to assist Registrars in assessing impacts.

Thank you,
Marc Anderson

Marc Anderson
Product Manager