[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] irregularities within RDAP

Francisco Arias francisco.arias at icann.org
Tue Sep 27 00:33:04 UTC 2016

[Apologies for not replying inline, the new version of Outlook won’t let me.]

The date for shutting down Whois port 43 has not been discussed or defined with the community. Therefore, stating 1 February 2017 we would be in the transition period where both WHOIS and RDAP would coexist.

The requirement for having a valid DNSSEC chain of trust is not coming from the RDAP RFCs; this is a requirement from the gTLD RDAP profile that was discussed and agreed with the community.

The requirement to preserve case is a “SHOULD” not a “MUST”, hence following your example, the contracted party would be free to return “example.com”.

The gTLD RDAP profile requires registrant, technical and administrative, and optionally allows for a billing contact. The gTLD profile addresses how to support more roles (e.g., contacts), for example, see section 1.3.6 of the profile.

Regarding variants, section 1.5.17 of the profile addresses this: In the case of Registrars, the variants member MUST reflect the latest known set of variant domain names and relation types.

Regards,

--
Francisco

On 9/26/16, 5:05 AM, "gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of theo geurts" <gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of gtheo at xs4all.nl<mailto:gtheo at xs4all.nl>> wrote:

Thanks Dennis,

First of all, if we look what has been published is that RDAP should be implemented Feb 1, 2017 (draft 1 April). What I am missing, is a transition period. If everyone implements it, and shuts down the WHOIS servers we have a problem.

The resource records related to the RDAP service MUST be signed with DNSSEC, and the DNSSEC chain of trust from the root trust anchor to the name of the RDAP server MUST be valid at all times.
-Looks sensible, but I cannot find this in the RFC's mentioned, is the above language a result of this?

In the case (i.e. uppercase and lowercase) of the data returned in RDAP responses SHOULD preserve the case received via EPP.
-TG- This needs to be specified perhaps for contact fields for example. As it, reads now you register ExAmPlE.com but you cannot return, example.com. Least that is how I read it.

The domain object in the RDAP response MUST contain entities with the following roles. Exactly one entity per role MUST be present in the response.
-TG-Most gTLDs support more roles. Is there no support or does the policy ends this support for more roles?

-RDAP does not support a country code for a contact, rather RDAP requires a full country name.
-TG- This, is a mapping nightmare, not everyone supports the official mapping, not sure how much work this is and will vary from Registrar to Registrar.

If the queried domain name is allocated, the following applies: If allocated variant domain names exist for the queried domain name, or if the domain name is an allocated variant domain name, the domain object in the RDAP response MUST contain a variants member [RFC7483].
-TG- We do not store this, and it seems to contradict the following  in the profile :"The purpose of this profile is to specify the RDAP requirements that are in line with the current Whois service requirements."

Best regards,

Theo