[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Thick Whois Policy Language revisions from the IRT meeting on 17 January 2017

Anderson, Marc mcanderson at verisign.com
Tue Jan 24 00:03:00 UTC 2017

Dennis,

Thank you for providing the updated redlines of the CL&D and Transition policy documents.

In the CL&D Policy document the “not to be deployed before date” was removed as agreed to on our last call (being that it occurs in the past).  Under Implementation Notes, section 2 explains the need for the “not to be deployed before date”.  That section isn’t needed anymore and should be removed as well.

In the Thick Transition policy document section 2.5 references Section 1 of Specification 4 of the “Base Registry Agreement approved on 9 January 2014” (“Base Registry Agreement”), but it does not include the “or subsequent amendments thereto” language.  In all other instances where the “Base Registry Agreement” is referenced, the “or subsequent amendments thereto” languages is included and I believe it is intended to be included in section 2.5 as well.

Section 2.4 requires registry operators to support contact operations by 1 Aug 2017 but the main purpose of section 2.4 is to define what we’ve referred to in the IRT as the “reduced validation rules”.  Basically instead of implementing contact support in compliance with RFC5733, the registry operator will only require the “contact:id, contact:postalinfo type, and contact:authinfo” fields.  Per our discussions in the IRT this is intended to support registrars during the backfill period (1 Aug 2017 to 1 Feb 2019).  Based on my read of the policy the “reduced validation rules” don’t seem to have an end date.  We don’t want them to extend indefinitely making a non RFC compliant implementation permanent.  Unless I’m missing something, I think this section should be tweaked to give an end date for the “reduced validation rules”.

Thank you,

Marc Anderson