[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Thick WHOIS Policy Implementation Status for IRT

Dennis Chang dennis.chang at icann.org
Tue Sep 26 02:11:49 UTC 2017

Dear Thick WHOIS IRT,

Below is a brief update on the project status;

  1.  The transition from Thin to Thick for .JOBS remains on schedule. On 1 August 2017 .JOBS began accepting Thick data from registrars. On 1 September 2017, their first monthly Transition Progress Metrics report was received per the policy “4.7 Between 1 August 2017 and 1 February 2019, Registry Operator SHALL provide to ICANN all Transition Progress Metrics for all registrars at minimum, Monthly by 23:59 UTC of the first day of the next month.” Per the report, over 2000 domain names have made the transition with multiple registrars participating. We will continue to provide updates as we receive them.
  2.  As previously reported<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/thick-whois-transition-update>, per a request from Verisign, the 1 August 2017 transition date for .COM and .NET, has been rescheduled to 29 November 2017.
  3.  Verisign and Registrar Stakeholder Group (RrSG) reached an impasse when they could not agree on a Registry-Registrar Agreement (RRA). Verisign believes that changes in this RRA are necessary to address the legal risk and obligation of accepting Thick WHOIS data. The RrSG has raised several concerns stating they need clarity regarding the impact of GDPR on ICANN contracts before proceeding with Verisign’s proposed RRA.
  4.  According to the RRA amendment procedure<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rra-amendment-procedure-2015-04-06-en>, ICANN, as the ultimate approver of the RRA, is to work with the registrars and Verisign to attempt to resolve the registrars’ concerns prior to ICANN’s approval or rejection of the RRA. Since April of 2017, ICANN has facilitated multiple in person and telephonic meetings with Verisign and the RrSG leadership, but no significant progress has been made by either party. Recently, the RrSG has written<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/bunton-to-atallah-17aug17-en.pdf> to ICANN organization requesting an extension to the Policy effective dates of 1 May 2018 and 1 February 2019.
  5.  ICANN60: A public session for the Thick WHOIS Policy Implementation Review Team has been requested for 1215-1315 on Monday, 30 October 2017. As we get closer to the meeting, we’ll confirm the time and location and provide a meeting invite for the IRT.

—
Kind Regards,
Dennis S. Chang
GDD Services & Engagement Program Director
+1 213 293 7889
Skype: dennisSchang
www.icann.org   "One World, One Internet"