[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Proposal for Deferral of Motions

J. Scott Evans jscottevans at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 18:04:41 UTC 2012

I vote for option 2.

j. scott evans -  head of global brand, domains & copyright - Yahoo! Inc. - 408.349.1385 - jscottevans at yahoo.com

________________________________
 From: Ron Andruff <randruff at rnapartners.com>
To: gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org
Cc: gnso-secs at icann.org; 'Julie Hedlund' <julie.hedlund at icann.org>; 'Nathalie Peregrine' <nathalie.peregrine at icann.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:31 AM
Subject: RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Proposal for Deferral of Motions

SCI colleagues,

This email is in response to the Chairman’s
request that I prepare a proposal for us to ‘vote’ on to resolve
the discussion around deferral of motions. Many thanks to Julie Hedlund for her
work in preparing this for your review.

As we discussed during our most recent
meeting this past Thursday, Aug. 9th, we seem to be coalescing
around couple of ways to address the issue of deferral of motions.  As you
may recall, the issue was whether to create a rule in the GNSO Council
Operating Procedures to limit how many times a motion may be deferred.
 Staff provided statistics from 2010 and 2011 on the number of deferrals.
 The SCI members seem to agree that the numbers were not high and did not
suggest abuse.  Conversations on the wiki (see https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/Deferral+of+Motions)
suggest two ways the SCI could recommend that the GNSO Council could address
this issue:

1.  A light touch approach, i.e. request
Staff to monitor deferred motions for one year and present the results to the
SCI.  At that time, the SCI will once again analyze the results, decide
whether deferrals are being abused, and whether a change to the Procedures is
warranted; or

2.  Recommend to the GNSO Council a
change to the Procedures that sets a limit on the number of deferrals.
 The limit would be 1 deferral and the issue that was deferred would be
the first item on the following GNSO Council agenda.

We would now like to see if we can reach
a consensus on one or the other of these two recommendations to the GNSO
Council on Deferral of Motions.  Please indicate on the list your
preference for one of these two options (if not in agreement, suggest a third
option for SCI members to consider).

Thank you for your assistance in helping
us move item this to completion.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff