[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Deferrals - Key questions / logic points in order to try to achieve consensus

J. Scott Evans jscottevans at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 16:45:53 UTC 2012

Dear All:

I check Roberts Rules of Order (an online version).  I found what I think is a general guideline in Art. V on Subsidiary Motions, Section 31 "To Postpone to a Time Certain or Definitely".  The text of this section may be found at http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-05.htm#31.  While I in no way believe we should adopt the Roberts Procedure wholesale, I do think we could use the general principals set forth in this section as a guide.

My Answers

·         Do we permit 1st deferrals?
Yes, under appropriate circumstances and after a formal motion has been adopted.
·         Do we require a reason / motivation for deferrals?
Yes, during the debate on the motion to defer, the moving party should have to justify its motion with its rationale for seeking a deferral.
·         If a reason is required / provided, is it subject to any test?
No, but it can be challenged during the debate on the motion to defer.
·         Are 1st deferrals automatically granted or do we subject them to some form of vote / test?
No, the moving party's motion must be carried by a vote of the Council.
·         Can a 1st deferral be overruled?  If so, what is the condition / test to overrule?
Yes, the Council can vote down the motion to defer. [Query:  what is the appropriate threshold?]
·         Do we permit 2nd deferrals?
Yes, again, the party seeking a deferral needs to make a motion that is debated and then voted on by the Council.
·         If we permit 2nd deferrals, do we subject them to some form of vote / test?
Yes.
·         Do we permit 3rd deferrals?
No.

j. scott evans -  head of global brand, domains & copyright - Yahoo! Inc. - 408.349.1385 - jscottevans at yahoo.com

________________________________
·         Do we require a reason / motivation for deferrals?
·         If a reason is required / provided, is it subject to any test?
·         Are 1st deferrals automatic or do we subject them to some form of vote / test?
·         Can a deferral be overruled?  If so, what is the condition / test to overrule?
·         Do we permit 2nd deferrals?
·         If we permit 2nd deferrals, do we subject them to some form of vote / test?
·         Do we permit 3rd deferrals?

My Answers

·         Do we permit 1st deferrals?
Yes
·         Do we require a reason / motivation for deferrals?
Yes
·         If a reason is required / provided, is it subject to any test?
No, we trust the provider of the reason
·         Are 1st deferrals automatically granted or do we subject them to some form of vote / test?
Yes, they are automatically granted
·         Can a 1st deferral be overruled?  If so, what is the condition / test to overrule?
Yes, subject to a request from a councillor and a [supermajority] vote of the council to deny
·         Do we permit 2nd deferrals?
Yes
·         If we permit 2nd deferrals, do we subject them to some form of vote / test?
Yes, 2nd deferral requires a request from a councillor and a [supermajority] vote of the council to permit
·         Do we permit 3rd deferrals?
No.  A motion should be voted on or withdrawn at this stage.
Note: I use “withdrawn” not “tabled” as tabled in my English, tabled means put forward / submitted not withdrawn